Marlin 2.0 Tutorial Preview

Folks, I will be publishing a new DrVAX video, which has taken a long time to produce since the procedures are quite complex, and my goal was to ensure clarity and make the process as easy as possible. For this forum’s members, I have uploaded the deck I used to organize my thoughts before filming. I expect to film and edit later today.

Part of the delay was because I am a macOS guy and which it is possible to build on a Mac without issue, the ST-Link utilities are much easier to install on a Windows machine. If you want to use a Mac, you are better off with the J-Link programmer since the utilities run well on macOS, but I did not have one available. So I dug a $350 Windows no-name laptop that I purchase online out of a drawer, and it took about 6 hours for Windows to complete its update so I could use the machine.

The video will cover Marlin 2.0 concepts, bootloader concepts, configuration files, procedures for building Marlin for printers supported by Auto Build Marlin, and a custom detailed build and installation tutorial for ANET ET4/5 3d printers. Now I need to figure out how to ensure it does not run hours in length.

Enjoy. Irv

December 19th at 6 pm. I updated the attached file and posted a full set of .h files for my build to the registered user only forum.


Marlin 2-0 Build ET4-5 Ender 3 V2.pdf (644 KB)

Looking forward to it and know I will learn a heap as I always do from your videos.

Thanks in advance.

Also looking forward to this video.
Thank you!

I guess some linux installation on an usb stick would have been much faster. Dealing with windows is always a pain. And when it says it is done updating, there are more hours to wait, as it usually lies about that. :slight_smile:

I don’t honestly find Windows to be a pain. I am, in fact, glad that MS provides updates. I do wish I had more control over which updates get installed, and when, but overall I’m glad to have them. Now, this situation is unusual. If you don’t update a Win PC for ages it is going to take quite a while to update. And, I bet Irv had it update over WiFi, which probably means it only updated at 1/3 the speed it could have been updated if it had been hardwired. So, a 6 hour update could have been completed in 2 to 3 hours.

It is true that, often, after Windows says it’s up to date, there are actually a few more available. They are usually minor updates and would get done in the next regular cycle anyway.

I’m very much looking forward to this video. I have an Ender 3 v2 with BLTouch and Micro Swiss Direct Drive Extruder Kit (the new one with the milled aluminum plate that replaces the x-axis plate completely. I have downloaded from Thingiverse the Satsana with BLTouch shelf (SATSANA Ender 3 Remix for Micro - Swiss Direct Drive + BLtouch by Juanolo - Thingiverse) and got everything hooked up and working, sort of. Micro Swiss instructions include the instruction that I need to change X_MIN_POS to -5 and Y_MIN_POS to -10 in Marlin’s source code then re-compile the binary. I’m using Windows 10, so I installed Visual Studio Code and added Platformio and Auto Build Marlin extensions. I’m able to make the recommended modifications for BLTouch and the modifications to X_MIN_POS and Y_MIN_POS and autobuild the .bin file with no errors. But when I install the .bin file (with unique name) via SD card to my printer, I have all kinds of problems. Z-axis won’t function correctly and the X & Y axis were both off. I don’t remember what all the problems were, it just wouldn’t work.

I went back to the Marlin site (I’m a paid member) and downloaded the Marlin release for my 4.2.2.mainboard with BLTouch. Copied the .bin file (unique name again) and booted up the printer. Everything works, but the nozzle prints about 5 to 6mm to the left of the edge of the bed. I can slide the glass bed over 6mm to the left and it prints fine. I would just like to be able to have all the glass bed over the complete bed.

PS: DrVax: I’m willing to send you another full Micro Swiss kit if you would like to test it.

Yep, my Windows 10 system was in a drawer for about a year and it is very slow and underpowered to start with. On my Surface Go (version 1) I use all of the time updates are quick.