Exciting News: Help me Design and Debug a New 3d Printer Utility

Folks, I have produced a number of videos about calibrating a 3d printer. One of the most difficult steps for some people is just finding software that runs on their computer and supports connecting to their 3d printer over a USB cable. Specifically, software that provides a Gcode terminal interface to their 3d printer.

I am hoping to solve this problem and also help with many of the calculations necessary for calibrating and optimizing your use of a 3d printer.

As registered members of this forum, I am going to invite you into my lab at a very early stage of my development of this new software tool. The DrVax 3d Printer Tool will be centered around a browser-based Gcode terminal that works on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. (It may also work on other Chromium-based browsers that support the relatively new Web Serial framework but I have not tested them yet.) The initial release of the application will include a Gcode terminal and a number of calculators to help 3d printer users.

If you are very brave, you can take a look at this “pre alpha” software and share with me your thoughts.

*** Please note I hope to have a full alpha or even beta version in about a week, so if you are not comfortable with buggy SW you may want to wait. ***

https://3d-printing-tools.drvax.com/

This initial version only supports connecting to a 3d printer at 115,000 bps. I will be added support to select a baud rate in the next couple of days. In addition, I have only tested it so far on a Monoprice Delta Mini V2 – but it should work on other marlin-based printers.

I am interested in all feedback but specifically the following:

1. What calculators should I include. I have already added an E-step calculator. Calculators with know formulas are very easy to add to just let me know what you think will be helpful.

2. What features do I need to have in the Gcode terminal. I am not implementing a slicer or even a printer front end but do want to make the terminal useful.

3. Should I add Gcode macro capabilities where a single button can be used to send multiple gcode commands?

4. How much gcode help should I provide? I really do not want to write a gcode parser but I could provide a “quick list” of common gcode commands.

Welcome to the world of software development.

For the SW geeks out there this is a Javascript Vue Framework APP and I will be releasing it as open-source when it is respectable.

All the best. Irv

This is certainly above my pay grade but I am interested in what this could look like. “3. Should I add Gcode macro capabilities where a single button can be used to send multiple gcode commands?”

An interesting project. I will try it out for sure.

The alpha 1.1 release is now live with the following enhancements:

• The side navigation drawer is now wired to the top app bar properly
  • I have enhanced formatting throughout the application
  • You can now set the baud rate, but since all of my printers connect at 115,200 I do not have an easy way to test. If I have time I will hook up an Arduino at the different baud rates to test
  • Added an option to uppercase gcode sent from the terminal and also continue to play with the terminal formating
  • Test the terminal successfully on an ANET 3d printers

Enjoy and I look forward to your feedback. Since the development is moving faster than I anticipated I expect the video about this might be out as early as this weekend.

I would be in for it, I’m not sure how much help I’ll actually be thou

The beta release is now live at 3d-printing-utilities (drvax.com) and the source code is available at ishapiro/3d-printing-tools: Information and tools to enhance your FDM 3d printing experience. (github.com)

@Irv_Shapiro On your Calibration Checklist you can add cleaning ALL fans from dust and debris (at least monthly or Every 50 Prints whatever comes first).
I’ve cleaned visible fans (hotend and part cooling fan) more often, but was surprised to find my PSU fan was almost totally clogged after 1 year (like someone turns over printer more often).

@mincevv Good idea.

How do you clean fans

Great idea! I’m not sure that Pronterface will run on an M1 chip. Having something like what you are working on when I started out would have been very useful.

Some specific thoughts/suggestions follow.

The DrVax 3d Printer Tool will be centered around a browser-based Gcode terminal that works on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. (It may also work on other Chromium-based browsers that support the relatively new Web Serial framework but I have not tested them yet.)

Thanks for the red warning about other browsers not supporting the new Web Serial framework. I do not use the browsers above, and so tried FireFox first. Hopefully, there will soon be an update or addon for FireFox. I find the current layout of the web page pretty intuitive, and hope to test the serial connection to my printers in the near future.

2. What features do I need to have in the Gcode terminal. I am not implementing a slicer or even a printer front end but do want to make the terminal useful.

Please consider buttons or check boxes – what’s a regex? :slight_smile: – to filter out common printer reponses like the temperature messages.

Please consider a way to save a session to a text file.

3. Should I add Gcode macro capabilities where a single button can be used to send multiple gcode commands?

Please consider adding macros to assist in manual bed leveling, e.g., send the nozzle to the front left of the printer so the user can the bed spring there.

4. How much gcode help should I provide? I really do not want to write a gcode parser but I could provide a “quick list” of common gcode commands.

OctoPrint has an addon called Marlin GCode Documentation that gives a short explanation and shows syntax of a g-code command as you type it in. Something along those lines would be handy.

Thank you!