Any reason to use PLA over PETG, other than cost?

I am fairly new to the 3d Printing world ( since end of Sept 2020). I have found all the videos very educational and helpful.

I have gotten to the point that I can print very well with both PLA and PETG. I have not found any reason to print with anything else…yet.

Both print very well. I know PETG is more flexible and durable as well as less sensitive to temperature.

So out of curiosity more than anything else I thought I might get my answer here (Google is not giving me the more direct answer I am looking for!)

Other than COST, why would I want to print with PLA over PETG, knowing that printing for me is easy in either case?

What things if any would be better to print in PLA then PETG?

Thanks for any feed back. I love learning about this stuff !!

Pros for PLA: [LIST=1]

• cost (as you mentioned)
  • much greater variety of filaments (shiny, silk-like, metallic, wood, and others)
  • I personally feel it can print finer detail [/LIST] Pros for PETG: [LIST=1]
  • stronger
  • more heat resistant
  • more flexible (bends before breaking) [/LIST] I would use PLA for fine-detailed items, and ones where you want a little more pizazz: e.g. [U]https://forum.drvax.com/forum/pictures-of-your-builds/5926-xmas-presents[/U]. I would also use it for lithophanes.
  • Thanks.

So the key things I was missing is the “finer detail” and the “variety”.

I happen to have more variety of PETG at the moment, just worked out that way. I just printed a Blue and Clear (though it does not come out that way) Rose in PETG. I will have to run some tests on the detail and quality to see how each come out with PLA. And may get some of those nicer colors in PLA.

I haven’t really seen any of the shiny or silk filaments in PETG. There just seems to be a greater variety of finishes in PLA.

I still haven’t opened my first roll of PETG because I haven’t wanted to print anything that needed it’s qualities. I have noticed that PETG in the videos I have seen rarely comes out to the quality you get to expect from PLA.

I find much less stringing with PLA and there are some concerns that PETG gives off fumes that are unhealthy when printing.

I think ABS is even more toxic or am I wrong?

You’re not wrong. ABS releases styrene fumes, which is suspected to be a carcinogen.

How much stink can I expect from my roll of PETG when I finally decide to print with it. I actually have something that I would like to print. It’s a tiny catapult that broke when I printed it in PLA. I did it a second time at 150% and it managed to work one time before it snapped. Micro Catapult by LukeTansell - Thingiverse.

I haven’t found it bad, but I do have my charcoal furnace filter box next to the printer.

I just googled the subject and Mr. Google says it’s not toxic but ventilation is not a bad idea. I will try it out with my ceiling fan going. I"m certainly not going to open the doors this time of year.

I print with PETG in the living area of my house and find no real noticeable smell. Just watch the adhesion problems on the bed. I ruined a magnetic pad on my Ender as it stuck to well. Found that if I flipped it over and exposed the ‘smooth side’ and coated with glue stick to act as a release agent, it works pretty well.
    YMMV, but this what I have found that works for me.

I’m sure there are toxic gases that are odourless.

I have been trying to revive my 2 rolls of 3d Solutions filament but they are very annoying. I thought I had them fixed by heating them for over a day in my food dryer filament dessicator and it seemrd to work for awhile and then the filament started breaking again. I shall never order from that company again.

There are MANY. Carbon dioxide is odorless. So are carbon monoxide, nitrogen, and many others. If a gas is odorless, but can displace oxygen, it’s toxic, because can deprive humans of a necessary for life.

I don’t think displacing oxygen makes it qualify as toxic. I think toxic is when it is harmful in amounts that don’t displace oxygen to breathe.

It does qualify. Of course, there are other ways, but remember, 1 way poison can work is to enter the body and tie up oxygen in the blood stream itself. This is really much the same effect as displacing oxygen in the air. For example, carbon monoxide enters the blood stream and replaces oxygen in the red blood cells. So, it’s depriving the body of oxygen. Sound familiar?

We couldn’t live without carbon dioxide to make the plants work to replace oxygen. We are talking about quantities here. Too much oxygen kills us too.

Of course. Same as drinking too much water. We need carbon dioxide for more than plants to make oxygen (although most oxygen is generated by plankton in the oceans). The human body cannot measure oxygen levels. It judges the oxygen level by measuring the level of carbon dioxide.

I wasn’t aware of that. I only knew that too much co2 makes co3 which is toxic.