Next Video Covering Advanced Cura Concepts

Working on a set of videos to help folks better understand the details of their slicers. Starting with Cura this first video will cover how layer height, walls, and related parameters interact with a model. I want to also help folks understand how to use the excellent print preview in Cura to see what the slicer is doing. I am using a beautiful model for a jewelry pendant that I obtained from Thingiverse and also a model I put together in FreeCAD to explain these relationships. Here are some screenshots as a preview of the content from this next video. Each of these images will be dissected in the video.

Many of the yellow segments are added by Cura when “fill gaps between walls” is selected. A surprising discovery at least for me, when testing these prints, was that the gaps between outside walls also impact print adhesion. In complex prints like these, the print order of walls is critical.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“438”,“title”:“Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.16.43 AM.png”,“width”:“500”,“data-attachmentid”:11550}[/ATTACH]

This model has walls of various widths and will be used to show the impact of the line and wall parameters. The wall widths are multiples of the nozzle width.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“450”,“title”:“Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 5.26.38 PM.png”,“width”:“801”,“data-attachmentid”:11551}[/ATTACH]

I also am using diagrams to introduce concepts and terminology:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“445”,“title”:“Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 5.41.05 PM.png”,“width”:“795”,“data-attachmentid”:11552}[/ATTACH]

While I am attempting to produce this video series of a number of shorter videos, each at about 15 minutes or less, the work to develop the material which includes test prints takes a surprising amount of time. My goal is to attract new MakeWithTech viewers that want their content to be shorter bite-size segments with high production values.

Time will tell. I will publish this video next week.

P.S. This is a preliminary slide and has a typo. :slight_smile:

Sounds like a good series. Re: the time it takes to prepare, just remember the quote from Mark Twain:

“If you want me to give you a two-hour presentation, I am ready today. If you want only a five-minute speech, it will take me two weeks to prepare.”

This is absolutely true. It is also true that the enemy of done is perfect. So you need to know your audience and when it is good enough to meet your goals. I am not going to win any Emmys for my YouTube videos and do not have a million-dollar budget for every 30 minutes.

Ender5r replied
09-18-2021, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a good series. Re: the time it takes to prepare, just remember the quote from Mark Twain:

“If you want me to give you a two-hour presentation, I am ready today. If you want only a five-minute speech, it will take me two weeks to prepare.”

Yep. I’ve heard it as “perfection is the enemy of the good (or good enough)”.

Just watched the video on YT. Well done. I do like the use of stills instead of screencasts, and you seem to be getting some very favorable reviews. ?