Top/Bottom Layers Slicing Issues

Hey all!

I’m having a major issue with slicing a particular model. I’m printing a model of a foundation wall with a concrete pad near the top of the wall. To minimize the supports needed, I’ve rotated the object so that it’s sitting on the shortest wall, on it’s side. There’s a small footing that ends up lifting the wall up off the plate so it requires supports there.

When I printed this model and removed the supports, I got this weird texture on the wall. I’m not sure how to fix this. I reviewed the video on the channel about top and bottom layers, but nothing I change fixes this. I’m also getting some weird incomplete layers on the other side of this wall as well. I’d appreciate any ideas from the collective hive mind because I’m about to tear my hair out!
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:15794}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:15793}[/ATTACH]

It would help to see the whole model, to see if there’s perhaps a better orientation for printing.

It is also possible that the best option is to print 2 objects. For example, this piece might be best printed if the footings are printed separately and the 2 are glued together after printing. Another alternative would be to only print the part of the footing that sticks out past the short wall separately. There are a number of possible way to address.

Of course, this all presumes you have access to the design files so you can alter them. I’m sort of assuming it’s your design.

What slicer and is Ironing turned on?

Cheers

Cura, and ironing isn’t turned on. Honestly I think I might just do as Ender5r suggests and break it into two parts to glue together. I’m running out of time for this project so that seems to be the best solution.

There is no shame in printing parts & assembling afterward. It’s done in manufacturing all the time. Besides, :slight_smile: , footings are poured separately from foundations every day.

I agree with Ender5r. For some reason, many people think that 3d printers should only be used for print-in-place objects. Nothing is farther from the truth. When designing an object you should consider the best way to manufacture each part. Producing parts with different tools in different materials and colors is standard in manufacturing.

In the following example, I wanted to produce a Lithophane for my Dad’s 90th birthday. I purposely used multiple materials since I wanted the richness of wood with the unique characteristics of a Lithophane. After producing the individual parts I glued them together.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“600”,“title”:“3d Print and Wood Trophy.jpg”,“width”:“800”,“data-attachmentid”:15865}[/ATTACH]

Honestly, you’re both right!

I actually used to work in construction and my first job was doing concrete formwork, and that’s totally how it’s done, in parts!

and @irvshapiro1 I just want to say thank you for all the videos you’ve been making. They’ve been extremely helpful and a great resource I’ll be sharing with my lab staff!