It has been a busy couple of weeks with work and such, but I finally got my iPhone mount redesign done. Designed in FreeCAD:
This photo shows the side that was facing down on the build plate for the printing, so most everything visible here was resting on the supports or the build plate:
The next photo shows the main idea with the redesign. I wanted to get the base of the loft out of the way of my hand so that I can still operate the emergency brake normally if I need it in a pinch. The loft base is on the left side instead of the right like in the first print, so now the loft is not in the way of me grabbing the brake handle and operating the release button. Now it just feels like I have a big cylindrical knob on the end of the handle.
The other thing I wanted to do is make the clamping system more efficient. It only needs a single screw, and the internal threads the screw grabs are printed. The screw head is oriented at the bottom. The lighting in this photo makes the supported surface look rougher than it really is. The print is in PETG.
I took the time and made the FreeCAD essentially fully parametric. All the angles, offsets, and even the middle stages of the loft are all parametric. The only aspect that isn’t parametric is that I have to tweak the numbers if the dovetail pocket pokes out of the loft surface. I had to tweak the numbers to get it tucked back into the loft solid.
I didn’t make any changes to the cradle design, so I didn’t have to reprint that part.
Anyway, I’m really happy with the result. I’ll drive with it for a while to make sure it works out. I already have one angle tweak I want to make. It’s so hard to plan the angles perfectly when I’m also planning different offsets. I adjusted the offsets of the dovetail face along all 3 axes, x, y, and z, so that impacts the angles to get the phone pointing straight at my eyes.
If anyone wants the FreeCAD file, say the word and I will attach it.