Soldering Station Top Plate

I recently got a new soldering station (The model is a YiHua 862BD+) and there is a lot of top space on the casing I wanted to utilize. My old Ersa soldering station was cramped with stuff and just a little bump into it was required to make the stuff fall down and roll around.

Fortunately this new model has top screws, where the lid is connected with the bottom. After taking some measurements and some FreeCAD fun and a long print I got a new top plate. All I needed was unscrewing the handle and the top screws that keep the U shape lid on, add my plate and put back in handle and screws.

It basically is just a stupid plate with pegs, holes, guides and frames to keep stuff where it belongs, even when you carry it around.

The new top provides storage for the hot air nozzles (plus room for future expansion), there are slots for up to 15 soldering iron tips, a peg and guides to keep the solder spool and the soldering flux can in place.

Additional holes in various sizes for additional storage. Currently used for the SMD chip de-soldering fork and plastic sticks, which I use to transfer flux from the can to the solder point and they are messy. Keeping them organized prevents a mess on the desk, when they start moving around. And finally a little box to keep electronic components you don´t want to loose.

You can find the link to the project here: YiHUA 862BD+ Multitool Holder by geit_de - Thingiverse

The dark blue I used matches the soldering stations color perfectly. :smiley:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: YiHUA_862BD+_1.jpg Views: 0 Size: 274.2 KB ID: 12015”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“12015”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: YiHUA_862BD+_2.jpg Views: 0 Size: 271.1 KB ID: 12016”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“12016”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

Wow, that’s a wild setup. I’m using a Weller station that’s at least 40 years old:

[IMG2=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“src”:“https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4f4AAOSw8GZfzUq2/s-l400.jpg”}[/IMG2]

Back in the 90’s I did a lot of soldering and your modification looks very interesting. Unfortunately I try not to use my equipment any more. Enjoy your equipment!

Impressive. This is the type of practical design I think we need more of in the 3d printing world.

yup, total agreement ?

I’ve got a Dollar store soldering iron that wouldn’t impress many people. It looks like you can really dial that in. Does it automatically solder by itself? Just joking of course.
Out of curiosity what are the features in a set up like that?

I bought it mainly because I have to fix more and more SMD stuff and my old soldering tip is far to big for that.

Yes, I could have bought a different tip, but then I would have to swap back and forth all the time, when dealing between soldering wires and SMD contacts. I also wanted do check out hot air soldering for quite some time. Being able to remove and swap these tiny chips and components is not gonna happen without hot air.

As a bonus I already found out that the hot air from the soldering station is perfect to fixate stuff using hot glue. Just hold a glue stick over the component to secure, point the hot air onto the glue stick and the plastic melts and drips onto the spot in seconds. Compared to using a real glue stick gun, this is saving time and electricity as the hot air gun is usually already hot/warm and there is no 5 minutes of preheating required.

I am electronically challenged. I envy people that understand it better than me.