Prusa Slicer ?

So, I was using Cura and I could never get rid of the stringing no matter what I tried and I tried everybody’s solution, well from several youtube videos anyway including Dr. Vax. So I read something about someone using Prusa Slicer instead and so I thought I would try it. I does have some issues, but after downloading a profile for my Ender 3 it I was finally able to print a string test with very little stringing. There is some, but it was significant improvement over Cura and I can live what little stringing there is now.

One thing I noticed though is that when slicing the gcode does not contain the LAYER number which octoprint uses to display layer progress. Does anyone know how to insert gcode or a script to display the layer numbers?

I suspect that would be pretty complicated. Regarding Cura though, have you tried CHEPs profiles?

Did you try using the retraction distance, speed, and Retraction Extra Prime Amount settings in the Prusa profile in Cura (maybe the Prusa profile is better tuned overall?)? For one printer, I found stringing was more sensitive to print temperature that those 3 variables, fwiw.

I’ve not used Prusa slicer, so no ideas for the second question.

Cheers

Yes, I tried his profiles. While it helped a little, it was not nearly as good as in Prusa Slicer. As for adding Layer information, that should be trivial. All I need to know is when the layers change. I think I know, but I was hoping I did not need to do it manually.

When I said complicated, I was referring to the idea of automating the process. It certainly would be easier doing it manually. The best option I can think of is to detect when the Z height changes.

What I did was print a temperature tower to find the best temperature with the least stringing. Then I changed the retraction settings though not all at once. This helped some, but not enough. So, I downloaded both CHEP’s and Makers Muse’s profiles and tried them, but still they did not work right. I may try the prusa settings in Cura, but right now I have it worked aside from the layer information which is not that important though it would be nice to know what layer you are on.

Okay, so I figured it out. I knew it could not be that hard.

In the Start gcode you add a counting variable

#i=0

Then in Before layer change G-code you add

;LAYER: #i=#i+1

It works like it should now.

So this is in Prusaslicer itself? If so, that’s really cool. Didn’t realize you could use variables in Prusaslicer.

yes, in the Prusa Slicer. You add it in Printer Settings->Custom G-code.

I forgot one thing though. I thought you only needed

But you actually need one other line or it still won’t increment the layers.

;BEFORE_LAYER_CHANGE

I think it’s good that you posted about it. It may be helpful to others. Now, if you could only explain the crazy way profiles are done in PS.

In Cura there is a simple feature you enable once and it show the layer and or the time left in the display. Once you sliced a model go to the menu and there is an option “post processing gcode” (or something like that). It opens a window, click on add and choose a module you want.

Same way you add pause at height etc. Once selected the option stays enabled for every slice you will do in the future, so remember when using pause at height to remove it afterwards. I have the time information always enabled, so I can see how long it will take, even if the value only gets updated at the begin of a layer.

When using OctoPrint there is an additional plugin that comes in handy. It shows the M117 command (Display message) within the browser title, so you get the same time information there, too.

I can just see it. “Help, every print I make keeps stopping at the same place. What could be wrong?” :slight_smile:

There is a big number field showing the number of post processing scripts next to slice/save, so if that number is 2 or bigger you should consider checking.

I have never run into this issue, but that is a really good clue for people.

Sorry that I’m late to this game, but Prusa Slicer has the options to use variables - here is what I did

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“title”:“ps.jpg”,“data-attachmentid”:4541}[/ATTACH]