On The Importance Of Being Retracted

As part of dialing my new JG Maker Artist-D Pro printer, today I used the Cura extension Part for calibration to add a Retraction Test to the build plate. I then printed 15 tests using PETG filament. I think I have it pretty well dialed in; not perfect, but close. As it turns out, 1mm retraction @ 20mm/sec & a nozzle temp of 225C to 230C seem to work the best. Turning retraction off really doesn’t work well.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“620”,“width”:“778”,“data-attachmentid”:9874}[/ATTACH]

That’s an interesting printer. With direct drive setups, you usually don’t want more than 2mm of retraction or you’re pulling hot filament up into the cold zone of the hotend. I found that 0.2-0.4mm was sufficient with my Prusa Mk3. Another revelation for me was that calibrating my extrusion multiplier for each filament made a huge difference with fine stringing and print consistency. It makes sense: If your slicer settings don’t match your printer and filament characteristics, the resulting code can produce over or under extrusion. By adjusting my extrusion multiplier for each filament (manufacturer and type, I don’t do it by spool), I find I need very little retraction, minimal z-lift/z-hop, and no coasting or wiping.

Wow. That is a lot of work. Well done. Do you mind if I reference this in my video on this printer?

Be my guest. It is all about sharing the info & experiences.

I wonder how Irv is doing with his JG Maker. Is this going to be as good as I think it can be?