Nozzle looks to be dragging across surface

I made this piece using freecad. It is made of two revolves, first the base around the z plane and then the hook which is a 300° revolve around the y axis. In the image, it seems as though the head is dragging across the top surface, after it prints the surface layer, as it goes to print the infill for the hook.

The scratch can be seen on all of the top surface layers. Is there a way to print the infill before the surface layer? or for these layer i it possible to lift the nozzle and then lower it at its next location for this specific move.

Or should I just try another slicer? I am using the SuperSlicer.

Or is there a better way to build the piece?

Sorry, just trying to figure this stuff out. In the slicer it has a printer setting to only lift Z above a height and below a height. Next time I print one, I will give this a go.

Sorry to be a bother about this. I used SuperSlicer and their preview and can see that it doesn’t raise the nozzle to add in the infill for the second horn. It puts in the infill for one horn, then does the surface and as a last minute thing it puts in the infill for the second horn.

I changed back to ultraMaker Cura and it does it all in the correct order. Both infill first then the borders and then the surface. Question has been answered.

And that print was even worse. Argh!

I assume you use Cura, which produces this kind of lines on top surfaces.

There is an option named “combing mode”, which can prevent these kind of issues.

I started using cura, I haven’t had my printer running for more then a couple of weeks, but found on a cylinder shaped object it left a mark where the seam was. I watched a few of the rotations in the slicer and saw they always started and stopped each slice at the same place. I then moved to superSlicer which moved the slice start around the cylinder and it did not leave a seam mark.

Other than that, I have no idea what am doing. I will look into combing mode.

There is an option in Cura which is able to randomize the Z seam, but it depend on the model, as a z-seam line may be better than having random dots around a cylinder. Recent Cura has additional options to hide the seam.

I strongly suggest to type in keywords into the search field above the parameters. It will show all related options, even the hidden ones.

It could be something as simple as the fact that you are putting down too much plastic per layer. I suggest that you print this single wall test piece. GITHUB Single Wall Test Piece by tjnamtiw - Thingiverse

Print it at your normal temperature and 40 mm/sec speed using a 0.40 nozzle. The plastic swells as it exits the nozzle, so it should be about.0.48mm thickness, when measured with calipers. Adjust your extrusion multiplier until it is that thickness.
Hope that helps.

1 Like