Multiple Raspberry Pi's

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this question. I now have 2 Paspberry Pi’s one for each printer. So if. I am correct then each one needs a unique name other than Octopi-local to be found on the network without the IP address.
Mine are
Octopi.local
Octopi-SV04.local

I know in Octoprint you can have multiple printers but didn’t think it was a good idea to run more than one printer at a time so I got another Pi

Can someone confirm my thinking?

Your on the right track. Your DHCP server needs a way to distinguish between Pi’s. I have several and have gone the route of static IP for each one. In that case, your name can be anything.(although for human sanity sake a different name is handy).

@Gramps, as @Bubba8769 stated, each device needs a different IP address. With hard-coded IP addresses names are optional, but highly recommended. Although most people don’t really know what it is, they are never-the-less using DHCP to automatically assign IP addresses to their devices, usually via their ISP provided Internet router.

DHCP is a convenience; it didn’t exist in the early days of TCP/IP. Mind you it is a great convenience.

DHCP doesn’t really care what names you give a device. It’s DNS that cares about that. For it to work, each device must have a unique name. The names you chose will work just fine.

@Bubba8769, did you truly hard-code the IPs or did you assign reserved addresses in your DHCP server?

I have my 1st Pi IP address reserved in the DHCP server on my router, I need to do that with the 2nd one too. I also do the sane for printers. Thanks for the reassurance guys.

You need to change the host name. Go in with SSH and launch raspi-config it lets you change the name and other stuff. My printers are named AnetA8, TronxyX5 and GeitPrinter, which results in AnetA8.local and so on.

I have a pi for each printer. The reason is simple. If I need to work on one printer, I can take it to my workbench and since the PI is mounted on the printer I just need to plug it in and can control it as usually using the web. Only power is required. LAN is optional.

Just a small clarification @Geit: a name is only required for DNS. TCP/IP itself has no such requirement. That said, DNS is very useful, so having unique names is a really good idea. And I completely agree about each printer having its own Pi.

I like the idea of naming each Pi according to which printer it’s controlling.

Exactly. The KISS principle is a good one.

Yes, they are hard coded. It is a habit I started way back in my local networking experience. Right now, I have 7 PIs on my network and each one gets a static IP when I flash the SD card. To keep things straight, I have a spreadsheet that IDs what address is assigned to what the card is going to be used for. I use PIs for both Octopi and security cameras that I assemble myself.
I would rather do this than ‘reserve’ an address in my router because from previous experience I have had routers die. This way, don’t have to go throught he trouble of setting up a new router and trying to get things back the way they were. Put a backup router in place and go on.

Have a great day.

I can see that reasoning. I opted to go with reserved IPs a few years back. I maintain the list by copying the DHCP list from my router. Now, I do have to say, I am not using my ISP-provided cable router as a router – I have configured it as a bridge. My router is a commercial grade software router running on a PC. It is backed up daily, so it would not be a big deal to stand up another PC as my router and have all the settings carried forward.

Hey, different strokes for different folks. In your situation, it is a good way to go. In mine, I elected the other path. My router is also a stand alone consumer unit and my backups are of various models. I have it plugged into my ISP router/modem and use double NAT as the T-Mobile unit will not allow bridging and my lan system predates this provider. My lan origins go back many years (original setup back in the 90’s) so it was easier just to continue that thought process.

That’s my experience history too. I was 1 of the 1st to use Synoptics gear (the company that invented UTP Ethernet). We started out with 1 of Synoptics’ early LattisNet hubs and moved to a LattisNet 3000 when it was released.

It was kind of funny. I had this early LattisNet hub, but no documentation, not even the basic RJ45 wiring. I tried connecting 2 computers through the hub and, of course, got nothing. So, I went out and bought an RJ45 crimper and a bag of connectors. Back in my office I made a guess (based on my RS232 experience): I reversed the wire pairs on the connector to 1 of the computers. Bingo! I had connectivity. I went next door to my boss’ office and said, “Got it”. He looked up and said, “You’re sh*tin me”. :smiley: