Jadelabo J1 IDEX printer??

As Jadelabo is a startup that so far has not released any product, this post and topic is NOT a review but merely speculative comment based on announced specs. To find out what the J1 might be requires reading everything (and I do mean everything) posted on both their kickstarter page:
Jadelabo on Kickstarter

and their website:

When browsing the sites listed above keep in mind that the product, when (and if) delivered, should be somewhat different than the prototype shown in the images and videos.

My opinions:
Pros:

• Full frame for rigidity.
  • IDEX with silicon parking pad for inactive extruder.
  • Easily swapable hotends.
  • Ships fully assembled.
  • Both fully enclosed and open versions.
  • Easy calibration.
  • Compatible with hi-temp materials.
  • Detection of filament jams as well as runout.
Cons:
  • Small build volume for the announced price.
[SIZE=16px]What are your views? Will the J1 be a reasonable choice for an IDEX printer?[/SIZE]

Disclaimer: I am NOT associated in any way with Jadelabo, but merely interested in what you might think about the proposed product’s features/specs.

Edit: it occured to me that compatiblity with high temp materials almost puts the J1 in the engineering class of 3D printers and thus could be a reason for the rather high prices.

While it has some interesting features, I agree with you that the volume could be greater. I also find the price a little high for what you get.

I looked at this printer when the kickstarter campaign started. Here are my 2-cents.

Good:
– IDEX
– Direct drive
– Can be enclosed
– 300C hotend (there is a video of it printing Polymaker PolyMide PA-12 CF!)
– Superior IDEX calibration (at least on paper)
– Nozzle z-offset design looks pretty clever and easy to use
– Backup mode is clever (I don’t think I’ve seen it in any other IDEX printer yet)

Concerns:
– Delivery date (a number of printer manufacturers, like Prusa, are probably coming out with new offerings this fall)
– Never heard of this company
– Proprietary hotend (Could be ok, but we won’t know until a reviewer can tell us if it works and the nozzles are standard. Jams don’t seem to be a problem because of the drop-out design of the hotend.)
– Price/print volume ratio
– Ribbon cables to hotend (these have a tendency to break/fail from the constant motion of the print head)
– It has quiet drivers, but did they cheap out on the fans?
– Printer profiles (hopefully their version of Cura isn’t too old, but I’d still like to see profiles for Prusaslicer and Ideamaker. At least they say it is “open source.”

For me, it ultimately came down to the cost and the delivery date.

Cheers