Flashforge Creator Pro 2 vs JG Maker Artist D Pro

Some of this information was previous posted in another post:

What is the advantage of the Fully Enclosed Creator Pro 2 (CP2)?

Since the CP2 is fully enclosed, you can print ABS and other filaments such as PETG, which tend to warp as they cool. On the other hand, many people are moving away from ABS since new variants of PLA are gaining some of the advantages of ABS.

A challenge with fully enclosed 3d printers is that they become costly, thousands of dollars if you want a larger print size (volume). For example, the FlashForge Creator Pro 2 is an IDEX dual extruder printer and is fully enclosed, but it has a print volume of 227x150x148 for about $800. For $700, you can get a JG Maker Artist D Pro, an IDEX 3d printer, with a print volume of 310 x 310 x 350. These are direct extruders 3d printers that will be faster than entry-level 3d prints, such as the Ender 3.

Advantages of IDEX 3d Printers

The advantage of an IDEX 3d printer for most applications is not printing in 2 colors. Instead, it is the ability to use dissolvable supports.

Disadvantages of IDEX 3d Printers

When the second nozzle is idle, the first nozzle often leaks filament. This causes excessive stringing and print defects. These two printers use slightly different approaches to solve this issue. The Artist-D attempts to brush off the inactive nozzle, CP2 uses a flexible plate to block the bottom of the idle nozzle, basically closing it.

I like how the Flashforge printer handles dripping filament from the currently idle nozzle better than the Artist D, and it is much easier to set up.

The default for the CP2 is to use a wipe wall around your printer when printing in 2 colors. This works quite well.

Slicers

The Artist-D is open source-based and works great with any slicer supporting Marlin. I have used the JGMaker supplied slicer, Cura, and IdeaMaker. For this printer I prefer IdeaMaker.

The Flashforge Creative Pro 2 using a binary header on their files, and so far, I have only used the Flashforge printer with their slicer, FlashPrint as I cannot get it to work with Cura. Still, I am waiting for a profile for Simplify3d from Simplify3d and will check to see if the quality is better when it arrives.

Which Printer would I Purchase?

If you are looking for a plug-and-play, IDEX 3d printer, buy the Flashforge Creative Pro 2.

If you are willing to do assembly work and some tuning work, I think the Artist D is more flexible and produces better prints when properly tuned.

Can’t argue with any of that. I can add a couple of tidbits:

1. Simplify3D has as feature whereby it will use expensive dissolvable filament only for the last millimeter or 2 that’s closest to the model. The rest of the support made from the usually less costly filament to print the actual model.

2. not only are there newer PLA filaments that have some of the capabilities of ABS, there are a few that have the characteristics of ASA (better than PLA, PETG, & ABS)

Is no one using their new JG Maker Artist D Pro? I was expecting to hear more about IDEX in general so I could decide which one I would save up my pennies for.
Even on the Internet there is not much buzz about IDEX printers.

I printed a silica gel case on my Artist D yesterday, but it was just a single, no dual extrusion… I have to re-adjust the 2nd extruder clearance height, at which point I will likely use the printer in duplex mode to more quickly print silica gel containers (I just finished my own design, which is sort of a remix of another 1). The containers will, hopefully, be used inside the new vacuum filament containers that are currently on their way to me.

Are you happy with it or not?

So far, so good. The bed levelling is, in my experience, unique. I wouldn’t say I have it down pat yet, but I’m getting there. I have also wondered if, and how, an ABL would work for a printer of this kind.

ABL? Leveling system?

Yeah. Automatic Bed Leveling.

@irvshapiro1 Thanks for the summary on the 2 IDEX printers as I am currently considering if an IDEX printer would be worth the additional investment.

I think IDEX will catch on. I really find it hard to believe that it hasn’t already. Most of the revues are 9 months old.