iPhone 13Pro Macro Mode will Help With Youtube Video Clarity

I just received a new iPhone 13Pro which has a new macro mode. It is rather remarkable.

I used to be a still camera guy, going back to the days of film-based SLRs, now all I use is my iPhone for still photos. The only thing I miss is a real telephoto lens.

On my YouTube channel, I use a Sony ZV1 camera and shoot in 4k then use FCP to transcribe down to 1080p. A real camera/video recorder still delivers better videos. For videos shared on social media a phone is great but for YouTube, I find a camera is superior. I also feed a Rode boom mic right into the Sony camera which does an excellent job of recording with very little noise.

I will be using the iPhone 13Pro to add better closeups of prints, components, etc. to my videos and as a second camera for a second video angle. Then I use the FCP multi-cam support to sync on the audio track and select the appropriate video source. This is the same approach I use when capturing a computer screen or phone screen when also including live video.

Here are two photos the first in regular mode and the second in macro mode.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“600”,“title”:“IMG_7075.jpg”,“width”:“600”,“data-attachmentid”:12469}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“643”,“title”:“IMG_7074.jpg”,“width”:“600”,“data-attachmentid”:12470}[/ATTACH]

It is remarkable how phone cameras, and especially the related software, have advanced over the past few years. It’s at the point where the big-name camera makers have had to get off their collective behinds and improve their products. Olympus may not be the last victim of failure to innovate.

It looks impressive.