Installed Glass Bed - Now have layer offset issues

I’ve been printing PLA+ at 205c and bed 60c. Sometimes first layer peels so I mostly use a raft
would dropping the bed temp provide better adhesion ?

Check your Z- offset, try a little closer. I also print the first layer thicker .035 and the other layers at .2 this gives a better first layer

@Maximo101 Very interesting discussion. Thanks for sharing.

I just tried blue painters’ tape on my glass bed, with PETG. The adhesion is really quite good. You might try it with PLA.

Hi. I am new here, but I have been running an Ender 5 for 18 months. Several months ago I had a single axis layer shift problem that, after many hours of testing cura settings and checking wiring continuity, turned out to be the grub screw on the pully slipping uder certain loads. Just saying it is always worth checking the basic mechanics of the printer before disappearing down the software/firmware rabbit hole! Good luck.
MrD

If nothing has worked to resolve a problem, it’s always good to go back to basics. I did that with my Ender 5 about a week ago. So far, so good.

Thanks for pointing that out - always good to check the mechanics.

I had a very bizarre problem with my ender 3 pro glass bed with it’s special surface when my original flexible magnetic bed grew a hole the size of a silver dollar in the middle of the bed. The glass bed was supposed to be removable which it was for the first few prints but it suddenly adhered like a thick coat of paint with no way to remove it without breaking it into tiny pieces. I have no idea what made it stick on there but it sure is stuck and nowhere do they say that this is not removable. It works okay but I think I’m going to try glue instead of hair spray. I would never dare not put something because prints can stick to it so badly they need to be broken off. Sometimes I have toheat up my bed to 100 C so that I can remove the print. Using a heated bed and then waiting for it to cool doesn’t work for me.

It’s amazing how prints stick to glass. I’m just using regular old picture frame glass, so not even as thick as window glass, and my prints stick pretty well I have to say.

I have two Ender 5s that I added the Creality coatred glss bed to. I had problems getting the glass off, but could always get ti loose - usually had to insert the putty knife at a corner or two to get it started. I ended up removing the original magnetic sheet from the bed. This really makes a much better solution. To remove the factory sheet- at least on the Ender 5, I started at one corner and slooooowly started to peel it up. If you are patient it will come off in big pieces, you can start from each corner. After you get it off you can clean the bed with a solvent, IPA did not seem to work well, but I did use it after all of the glue was off. I have found replacement sheets on Amazon, Creality store and even e-bay. Not sure they are all genuine. I have found that if I let the bed cool to around 45c or lower the prints will come off pretty well, If it cools to room temp - 23c they slide right off.
I have found a good replacement for binder clips . https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083V6BVCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:1254}[/ATTACH]

So you took the magnetic sheet that’s attached directly to the aluminum bed? Interesting. I thought, briefly, about doing that, but decided it wasn’t worth it.
The clips are interesting too. I printed my own out of PETG. They’ll do for now, but I’ll remember the Sonder clips if I need something metal later on.

My glass bed comes off the printer fine and to get prints off quicker, I just put the glass bed / print in the fridge while I make s warm beverage, a few min later the print pops right off.

I agree with Maximo101, I think a glass bed is the best solution. I have seen videos on all of the fancy beds, that allow them to be popped off and flexed to remove the print. To me they are an expensive solution to a problem that I don’t have. I’m trying something new and will provide an update after testing. It is a bonding solution that helps prints adhere, but releases when cool. I’m trying to move into PETG, and TPU which are either hard to stick or stick too well.

Nice if you’ve got room in your fridge ?

Trying to build the suspense? ?

I just took my first print off after using Vision Miner Nano Polymer Adhesive – Build Plate Adhesive that I purchased from TH3D. Tim had a video of using it, I ordered the full size bottle, and wanted to make sure it works before I recommend it, since it is $50 a bottle. It did work, almost too well, but the PLA print was a 160mm x 100mm flag, so a lot of first layer material. I next want to try it on PETG and TPU. I ordered new Creality glass plates as mine have had a number of scratches and scrapes. I wanted to make sure this product worked before coating the new ones. Here is the you-tube video if you want to see it in action. EZTip #3 - Applying Vision Miner Nano Polymer - YouTube

I will definitely watch the video. In fact, I already opened it from your link.

I watched it too. I am not a lover of post processing. There are some filaments that are so nice you don’t really need all this. Poly eurothane with fine metallic filings would probably do the same thing.

I haven’t heard of this. Got a link you can share?

Here is the link to purchase on TH3D website. I’m still experimenting, so can’t say for sure how great it is, but it seems to work. they also have a sample bottle for $5.