Adapter to vent a pool tube using a water tap

What was your best practical print so far? Until now I could not decide if it’s the simplistic bottle crate stands, the belly to ebook reader adapter I use on a daily bases or my corona (h)air cutter, which saved me several hundred euro over the years, but today I raised my personal bar by miles.

It was work. It hurt my knees. It involved a lot of walking. It involved a lot of lifting weight. It cost 20 minutes of my time even before I could start the actual task.

Yes, I did all that several times a year for over 40 years.

All that got fixed by a 50 cent worth of 3D print. Personally I would have paid 30+ Euro to buy that part years ago, as the solution is so easy and nice.

What did I do? (You read the title, I know)

Well, before cleaning a pool you need to vent the cleaning tube to prevent air getting into the pump, which reduces the pumps power and even can break it.

With a normal garden pool you simply dump the cleaner with the cleaning tube connected into the water. Then you hold the other end of the tube against the pool inlet until all air got pushed out and the cleaner stops bubbling air out.

However. For over 40 years this wasn’t an option for me as the water inlet is around 1m under water and not reachable at all. So it was required to get onto my knees and shuffle water into the pipe like a mad man, until the tube was more or less air free.

This wasn’t very effective, took ages and I had to go to the maintenance room several times to vent the filter. So in total this took at least 20 minutes plus additional walks to get even started with the cleaning.

Now I created this little tube adapter, which allows me to connect the pool tube to the water tap next to the pool.

All it takes is to push the TPU part over the water tab, push the tube over at the other end, turn on the tab and wait for the bubbles to stop emerging from the cleaner head.

This took less than two minutes without any pain, effort and walking. I never ever was able to start cleaning that quickly.

As already mentioned,I would have paid 30+ Euro for this solution. This is a great example on how 3D printing can change and enhance your live.

3D printing rocks!

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: PoolTubeTPUAdapter_2.jpg Views: 0 Size: 111.4 KB ID: 15205”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“15205”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: PoolTubeTPUAdapter_3.jpg Views: 0 Size: 94.8 KB ID: 15206”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“15206”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: PoolTubeTPUAdapter_4.jpg Views: 0 Size: 93.4 KB ID: 15207”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“15207”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

Source files and model can be found here: Adapter to vent a pool tube using a water tap (Customizable) by geit_de - Thingiverse

Nicely done my friend. As you know, these kinds of projects are my raison d’etre for 3D printing. I will have to review my projects to see which one I think is the best. Not an easy task since almost all my projects have been practical ones.