New Ender 3 S1 Pro cat print start

I finally got my printer setup this afternoon, I was delayed because I had to understand how to build a phone app for my compost project.

This is what it looked like and it seems like the head moved way too fast. Plastic string was floating around, from the picture I think you will get the idea.

The nozzle temp was like 198 and the bed was 59. I used the filament that came with it, what could I have setup wrong?

Did you level the bed and set the Z offset and run auto mesh? If so did you tell the printer to use the mesh?

You need to put the following in your startup gcode
G28
M420 S1; Load saved mesh from EPROM

I edited the gcode file for the rabbit and added the M40 S1 after the G28.

The result is the same. Now the line on the left of the printer is a squiggly line. Here is another image. It also seems that the plastic isn’t sticking to the bed. Am I supposed to use glue. I have watched many video’s and read many blogs where they don’t talk about glue?

Also, the room is a little colder, ask my wife,and so maybe I should raise the bed temperature to compensate?

Well, I re-leveled the bed, did the manual part twice and it is now printing what seems like a rabbit.
@Gramps I appreciate your help.

Good to hear. I have never had to use glue on my PEI sheet to get filament to stick. The room where I have my printer is in the basement and doesn’t have a heat duct so it’s always colder than anywhere else in the house and I have never had an issue. When printing PLA I set the bed to 60c, for PETG 70c, & TPU 50C
my room temp is around 65F

Yeah, the first layer is where 99% of the problems are. And setting the z offset incorrectly seems to cause people a lot of problems.

One common misunderstanding, and I had it too, was when you use a feeler gauge or a piece of paper to set the z offset, you need to lower the nozzle from that point by the thickness of the gauge to get it set to the actual zero point. Otherwise your printer will incorrectly raise the height of the nozzle by the gauge thickness, not just the layer thickness, when printing the first layer.

You may not have had this misunderstanding, but I did.

Is there an automated way to have a slicer add this line to the gcode file? I have written a down and dirty java app that will add the line, but it seems everyone has this problem.

You add it to the startup gcode in your slicer, here’s the startup gcode I use

;Start gCode

G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M83 ; extruder relative mode
M104 S{temperature_extruder1} ; set extruder temp
M140 S{temperature_heatbed} ; set bed temp
M190 S{temperature_heatbed} ; wait for bed temp
M117 Print Starting...
M75 ; Start Print Timer and Engage Fil Sensor if USB Printing
M84 E ; Disable E Motor for probe accuracy on direct drive systems
M117 Antiblob retract...
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder distance to 0
G1 E-2 ; Retracts filament to prevent blobs during probing
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder distance to 0
M117 Homing All...
G28 ; home all axes
M117 Homing Z Probe...
M420 S1;  Load saved mesh from EPROM
M117 Heaters Recovering...
G4 S10; wait for heaters to recover
M420 Z0; Z fade

M117 Purging extruder...
G92 E0     ; reset extruder
G1 Z1.0 F3000    ; move z up little to prevent scratching of surface
G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0  ; move to start-line position
M109 S{temperature_extruder1} ; wait for extruder temp
G1 X0.1 Y100.0 Z0.3 F500.0 E15  ; draw 1st line
G1 X0.4 Y100.0 Z0.3 F5000.0  ; move to side a little
G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F500.0 E30  ; draw 2nd line
G92 E0     ; reset extruder
G1 Z1.0 F3000    ; move z up little to prevent scratching of surface

M117 Printing.....

The other typical problem is that the filament they ship is typically garbage. I would suggest trying a new roll of filament.

David F.

1 Like

When I got my ender 3 S1 (not the pro), it had a PC bed, and when I printed something with the provided filament, it essentially got glued to surface. I had a terrible time removing the print.

Finally I got so frustrated that I threw out the magnetic bed and pc surface and bought some g10 fr4 sheet and cut it to size. It’s been great. Adhesion is good when it’s hot, and the prints pop off easily after it has cooled.