Material resembling Bakelite

Greetings,

I am new to 3D printing–so new that I don’t have a 3D printer yet! I have a Sovol SV01 arriving on Monday.

One of the reasons I am getting into 3D printing is to make replacement parts for obsolete and antique electronics. I am wondering what 3D printing material most resembles Bakelite–not all of the properties like heat and chemical resistance necessarily, but a something that feels and looks similar. Bakelite is dense, it has some heft in your hand. And it’s hard and doesn’t deform.

What should I experiment with?

Best regards,
Mike

This sounds challenging, given we are talking thermosetting polymers versus thermoplastic polymers. You might consider making the part on the SV01, weighting it, and coating it to get the feel you are looking for. This table might help match the properties you are interested in: Ultimate 3D Printing Material Properties Table

Cheers

P.S. – Maybe ABS is the place to start. From wikipedia:

“By the late 1940s, newer materials were superseding Bakelite in many areas.[SUP][40][/SUP] Phenolics are less frequently used in general consumer products today due to their cost and complexity of production and their brittle nature. They still appear in some applications where their specific properties are required, such as small precision-shaped components, molded disc brake cylinders, saucepan handles, electrical plugs, switches and parts for electrical irons, as well as in the area of inexpensive board and tabletop games produced in China, Hong Kong and India. Items such as billiard balls, dominoes and pieces for board games such as chess, checkers, and backgammon are constructed of Bakelite for its look, durability, fine polish, weight, and sound.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Common dice are sometimes made of Bakelite for weight and sound, but the majority are made of a thermoplastic polymer such as acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS). Bakelite continues to be used for wire insulation, brake pads and related automotive components, and industrial electrical-related applications. Bakelite stock is still manufactured and produced in sheet, rod and tube form for industrial applications in the electronics, power generation and aerospace industries, and under a variety of commercial brand names.[SUP][40]”[/SUP]

ABS seemed closest to the mark to me too, other than polycarbonate, which requires upwards of 300 degree extruder temperature so that’s ruled out for now. One thing that makes Bakelite Bakelite is that it typically has sawdust as filler. So the wood filament seems like a potential avenue as well, though wood-filled ABS might be closer yet, if such a thing existed, due to its higher glass temperature.

I also need to print some rubber insulators, so I have some TPU coming as well as PETG and ABS. And the printer comes with a roll of PLA. So hopefully a good initial selection for experimentation. So excited, can’t wait!

It seems like a very good tool for you to have with what you are doing.

Well guess what arrived Friday instead of Monday!

I’m printing great in PLA, and made my TPU insulators as easily as can be, and they fit perfectly. But the PETG filament I bought is just not heating enough. Barely any comes out of the nozzle and it just builds up as a ball and doesn’t adhere to the bed at all. So I have some troubleshooting to do there, but all in all not a bad first day!
[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“300”,“title”:“84BF7E59-9990-482D-8108-D1F2D858A627.jpeg”,“width”:“400”,“data-attachmentid”:9169}[/ATTACH]

You haven’t stated what temp you’re using for PETG, nor whether you did a temperature stringing tower. I really recommend you print a tower using temps from 205 to 245.

I haven’t even opened my first roll of PETG and TPU yet so I am of no help.

I like my cheap food dehydrator. I may even use it to dehydrate some food one day.

Now why on Earth would you want to do that? ?

I know it sounds like a crazy idea. But you know how you get at my age.