Lithophane lamp

My lamp printed out and assembled just fine. But now that I want to print my lithophanes I am running into a bizarre problem that I don’t understand at all.

I take my b/w jpg file into cura and set the parameters the way I have done many times before but when I go to print it it prints the brim and then stops and has a message “click to resume” and then it will get a “heating error, please reset.” I’ve tried this a few times while successfully printing test prints in between that work fine. So I went back to Cura (which I hate by the way) and redid everything again and the same thing happened while I was following a video showing how to do it.

Is there any way to see what gcode Cura generated for the lithophane?

Could someone please check this site for me? I successfully used it over a month ago and ever since it just bugs on me. That’s why I ended up in Cura. http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/

Absolutely!! A g-code file is just a text file, like any other text file. You can edit it in Notepad, although I recommend Notepad++. I can’t remember, R U on a Mac? If so, there are editors for it that will work too. The only caveat is to NEVER use any kind of word processor or other program that messes with the format of the file.

In the file you will find every instruction that your printer will execute. I would search first for “click to resume”.

I tried the site. I uploaded a jpg of a printout of the owl that came with my printer. It downloaded OK, but Cura says it’s not watertight or manifold and might not print properly. When I sliced it, there was some crazy looking squiggly lines on the top surface that I’m sure would somewhat spoil the effect.

Thanks I think I will have to try and learn some gcode. By the way does that lithophane web site work for you?

The site seems to be able to render images when I have the size set to 200 or less. At 300 the page times out and crashes.

200 what? I need to make my lithophanes 104 by 156 mms

The site doesn’t specify 200 what. Hopefully, it’s millimeters, but it doesn’t say.

Thank you thank you thank you I managed to make it work and this way I could slice it in Prusa and all will be well.

I really like the lamp. My lights should come today so I can do three lanterns. WOW! I just looked at my printing time and it is a little over 3 hours. My printing time for Cura was 25 hours more. I’m glad it didn’t work.

Good luck with it. And remember, pictures…or it didn’t happen!

I’m not sure what you mean. If you don’t have a picture of it, it didn’t happen?

Exactly. IOW, people won’t believe you if you don’t have photos or video :slight_smile:

re: slicers. I would really love to have DrVAX chime in on this, but I can’t fathom how, given exactly the same slicing & printing settings, 1 slicer could be appreciably faster than another. After all, the printer has to do the work, not the slicer. If the g-code is set to print at the same speeds, same layer height(s), same infill, etc., the printer can only go as fast as it’s told to go. I don’t see how the slicer can make that much difference. If you’re getting very different estimates, I suspect it’s because the settings in each slicer are very different, which, of course, could seriously affect quality.

I do have trouble with settings in Cura more than I do in Prusa. It is probably my fault. I have to learn how to wrap my dilapidated mind around gcode.

I have trouble with Prusa. I can’t figure out how to use the Print, Filament, & Printer tabs at the top. I make changes to the settings and then try to save them as a profile, but I can’t tell if each tab has it’s own settings, if they’re combined into 1 file, or what. I got frustrated with it.

I certainly am not a guru in Prusa it is just the slicer I have gravitated to. I have my own problems with Prusa like the m600 command to change filament. I can actually nearly make it work in cura but not prusa. I like to make things as simple as possible so I have effortless printing, but as Irv says 3d printing is as much an art as it is a science. I would like to do everything with one slicer that I get used to. All ythe pros keep switching around between slicers til my head spins.

Well, now that you’re going to look into g-code a bit, you might want to try inserting an M600 command into a Prusa slice, and then check the g-code file afterward, to see if the code actually made it into the file.

I was actually thinking along those lines since I can’t break into my eeprom with arduino. TH3d never replied to my query about error message. I guess it is because I’ve never purchased anything from them. I can understand that. Take care of the paying customers first.

I have tried several times to insert the M600 command into Prusa and with my Creality version 1.1.8 of the operating system. I will try to take a look at the code when my brain settles down, which is not often these days.

I’ve used this site successfully in the past.

Cheers