I am frustrated. Need electronic advice. Working on plating PLA with metals.

Is that why some women act so goofy? That’s a male chauvinist pig comment from my younger days. I just ordered a big bottle of acetone that is sold as paint remover for fingernails.

I went down to my mail box to see if Amazon stuck my fuses in my mailbox and saw a bag on the balcony that taught me a new word for salt. It is now called Ice Melt. That’s what the bag said but I guessed right away.

Really, it’s actually called that, or are you having me on? Post a link; would luv to see it.

It probably isn’t sodium chloride (table salt) or at least it isn’t ALL sodium chloride. Salt is often replaced by other chemicals that aren’t as nasty to concrete: calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, beet juice. There may still be some sodium chloride in the bag; just not as much. And, of course, it’s an excuse to charge way more for it.

Could be Calcium Chloride I’m not sure that’s any better to be strewing around everywhere. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009SDJQCI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There seem to be many acetone products on the market. Looks like the prohibition may have been reversed. Maybe the kids have more fun things to get high on these days. Life is a circle… I just buy acetone in a tin @ Home Depot.

I went down to check for my delivery and read the label on the bag and it is made by Windsor Salt company and I know that is a NaCl mine.

The local hardware store keeps a large supply of a lot of chemicals, including acetone. They are the supply for the large paper mill in town. It is used to clean the “wire” on the wet end of the paper machines. That was my job, keeping the paper machine supplied with their daily supplies.

I glued pipes together with acetone fifty years ago when I was running a golf course in St. Lucia. Having been a general contractor and general try making anything sort of guy I have used every toxic chemical you can imagine at one time or another. Sometimes I wonder I I lasted so long. People are more aware of health risks now than we used to be.

I have seen pictures of front end loaders digging out salt from 1 of Windsor’s mines. But, Windsor sells a variety of ice melting products, including 1 that has zero salt in it. They call it “safer for pets”. They also have a “safer for concrete” mix and 1 that’s a mix of good old rock salt and CaCl. Not sure which 1 is on your balcony.

You have placed doubts in my mind. The 1/3 full bag is all crinkled up so I couldn’t read much and I was not appreciating the freezing rain we are getting so I didn’t see any ingrediant info. Maybe when I go later to check for my delivery I will do so. All we need now is an ice storm.

I love Amazon and I love the internet. I just got an email saying my fuses had arrived and went down to get them. Of course I forgot to check the salt bag but it’s still raining.

Fuse on baby!

I just checked of course it is going to freeze tonight but I hope that is after it quits raining. Quebec is noted for it’s ice storms. One took down a huge maple tree down the street a few years ago. I had never seen such a phenomenon before. Snow storms, earth quakes and hurricanes but not ice storms.

Everything has gone nicely these past couple of days. I wonder what’s wrong. Just kidding. I had to return my rectifier and I already have a new one and it has already been refunded. Amazon is quite amazing in their service.
Tomorrow I will get my acetone and try some conductive paint experiments. I even bought one of these fans and it seems to do what I need it to do. We shall see when I open acetone in front of it. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0711LFYJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am trying an experiment with one of the pieces that I tried to plate before that started to plate. Only conductive paint is touching the electrolyte so I don"t get this huge fight from the bubbling copper. I can tell by the meters that something is happening so we will see.

I am finally copper plating plastic. At least it seems so. Having no copper except the cathode touch the electrolyte and only painted plastic works. I put in an l-shaped piece of PLA that I had just dipped in my expensive conductive paint 5 minutes before and it started to plate at the waterline almost right away. It is travelling down. The rook that I semi dipped I have submersed further and it looks like that’s working too. We shall see, but it is certainly looking up.

Good to hear my friend.

I hope acetone and graphite work better than this atrociously expensive paint I bought. It should be doing a better job than it has. Probably my fault.

I think you may be making it harder on yourself than need be. Here’s an electroless copper kit that is specifically designed to plate non-conductive items. It costs $200 CDN: [U]https://www.caswellcanada.ca/Electroless-Copper-Kit-pint.html[/U]. With it, you can forget all that messy paint and stuff that is so hard to get evenly applied, especially without ruining details in the model. They even have a video of the process. For you, you would use this process, then move the item to your copper electoplating bath to get a hard copper coating on the model. This is almost exactly what we did for circuit boards. In fact, they even say it can be used to coat the holes in circuit boards, which is the reason we did it.