Glass bed for Artist-D

Late last week (Friday) I put the glass bed I had ordered for my Artist-D pro from JG Maker. It was not for the Artist-D, it was for another printer they offer, but it fits. I leveled the bed and did some fabulous prints of chess sets. I did two with full pieces in regular size on stl and the same at 30% enlargement using the IDEX feature of the printer. Took about 14 hours. I am now trying to do the squares that interlock to make a chess board. I am really having troubles doing this. I cant believe a square 3.3 mm high will not stick and print. So far none of my prints have not had any magigoo or purple stick glue to be printed. I have cut the number of 2in squares to six on the board and one single extruder. I hope It works with Magigoo.

Magigoo should do the trick. If not, Dimafix could well be a solution.

Magigoo did the trick this time. Now I am hoping that my calculations that the pieces fit, as to all are the same size. I’ll keep printing, I’ll print the other color now that I have 6 of 32 of one color.
I am disappointed that I had to use glue. I did find out that leveling glass with the center “pole” is more tricky.

Not sure why you’re disappointed about using Magigoo. Agents of all kinds are used in manufacturing to aid in the production of things we all use. For example, many injection molded plastic items could not be made without mold release agents. You do what works.

I think you will find that, as the horizontal width increases, the chances of warping increase.

I think you are wright!
But on another note. I just had a power failure while doing a print. Instead of resuming as I would have assumed. It started on the first of six squares and not on the third. Not what they claimed. Keep that in mind for future failures!

Interesting. Not a feature very many people test I don’t imagine. We probably all should though. Mind you, my printers are on a UPS, so there’s that.

Mine was on a UPS along with my modem, but apparently the battery is dead.
I was into a little over an hour into the 6 hour print. It, by starting over made a terrible mess of the print.
I wasnt thinking or I would correct the print. I think it needs rifts. there is a notch that goes half way up. This was you cannot see the notch.

I would love to see some pics of your chessmen and the board.

yes, UPS batteries do need to be tested. I schedule mine for once a month.

Metalized plastic chessmen with voids filled with a weight plaster or sand could look very impressive. I wonder if some designer genius could make a hinged box with a lid for the chessmen that folded out flat and square into a chessboard?

Actually it wouldn’t absolutely need a square perimeter just the chessboard design out flat.

Yes, there is a model that way, I thought about it but I was not sure if the large pieces I print would fit. I guess I could always enlarge like I do the pieces and board I have. Or I could always do a box and glue tjhe board pieces onto it. That may be my next project I do. I was originally afraid to do the chess box because of the plate size of the Geeetech printer when I started the project.
Hay — that gives me an idea:cool: Now I have an IDEX I will not have to do it in two stages. One with supports for one color and a separate print for the other color. I downloaded the STL files and I will look at them.

You could also use 1 extruder for dissolvable supports… just sayin’ :slight_smile:

I have yet to see a video showing a really good application pf soluble supports on an IDEX printer. It should be amazing if done cleverly.

Have you seen the price for the throwaway water soluble support filament. I would really need to have it for a fine piece of model for show, and not show the support marks. I did the gobbler model of a turkey for a table center piece. I enabled the support and that was the awfullest mess to clean up and I used acetone to smooth out the lines. I noticed there is a “supports do not touch” option. I turned in on in the print I am now dong to see how well it works.

@Irv_Shapiro did 1 of The Thinker: [U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xg8vFIB-MM[/U], starting @ 10:25. He shows the print with the soluble support material still attached, then after washing it off.

This is the single thing I know of where Simplify3D may have an advantage over other slicers. I do not know if any other slicers have introduced the feature, but Simplify3D can print 90+% of the supports using the regular filament and only use the expensive soluble support for the last 2 or 3 mm where the supports touch the model.

@Lowtreck, regarding the original issue, you said you wanted to avoid using glue.
I usually see adhesion problems dealt with using glue, heat or pressure. I was wondering when I read your post if slowing the print speed significantly for the first layer might accomplish the same thing. If you turned the speed way up, you would expect to have adhesion problems, right? So maybe a speed of 10mm/sec on the first layer would help.
I have never tried this, but I will next time I have an adhesion issue. I ran it through Cura, and it’s amazing how little impact it actually has on total print time.

In my experience, slowing down helps with many 3D printing issues, 1st layer adhesion being 1 of the big 1’s.