Freecad .19 windows install

I’m new to this and old! I’ve tried to follow the latest you tube video to install freecad .19 in windows 10 but when I click on the file I get a message asking what programme I want to open it with. Double clicking the folder as per the video gives me a list of contents but nothing like what appears on Dr Vax video. Before I give up and resort to version .18 does anyone have any suggestions please. I’ve already tried shouting at the laptop.

This sounds like you got a 7z or .zip file. You need to uncompress it before you can run the installer. It could also be that you got the wrong version for another operation system.

Your filename should look like this:

https://github.com/realthunder/FreeC…t5-20200812.7z

You should be able to use right click and use “extract all” or something like that. Then you can double click the install icon inside the extracted folder.
Unlike official stable releases FreeCAD 0.19 betas are delivered as archive containing the installer. Unlike the 0.18 from the download page which is an all in one install file you can launch directly.

Thanks very much for advice. I’ll give it a try later.

@Geit, now why wouldn’t they create an exe installer version of 0.19? If nothing else, it’s inconsistent; something that drives people nuts. And, IIRC, it’s basically trivial these days to take a bunch of files and create an installer from them.

Don´t ask me, but it is probably more work by hand, while a beta version is auto generated each night by running the build system. Compressing the stuff is one shell command in a makefile.

I can imagine that creating an self extracting installer executable needs more input and cannot performed that easy by script. On the other hand is the beta version only for experienced people who know what they are doing so why taking the effort each day?

I just checked. Version 0.19 is in development; it is not yet officially released. That’s why there’s no exe installer yet. According to this page, https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/r…s/tag/0.19_pre, here’s how you install 0.19:

Windows

Binary developer builds (no compiling necessary) are available. Download the highest revision of the .7z

The builds are portable and do not require an installation. Extract the file using 7zip and start the application by double clicking on FreeCAD.exe in the bin sub-directory of the extracted package.

NOTE: The Conda Win based build are packaged from here: GitHub - FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bundle: Stand-alone repo to Build and Deploy installable FreeCAD images
They should be the Windows equivalent of the Conda based .AppImage and .dmg

FreeCADLibs_12.1.4_x64_VC15.7z is not required to run the binaries provided here. It is a package that provides all necessary dependencies to compile FreeCAD with VS2015/17/19 (both release and debug mode). The package is provided courtesy of FreeCAD community member apeltauer.
The LP based Win build uses this library.

Basically, it’s exactly as @Geit said.

I just checked. Version 0.19 is in development; it is not yet officially released. That’s why there’s no exe installer yet. According to this page, https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/r…s/tag/0.19_pre, here’s how you install 0.19:

[B]

Windows[/B]

Binary developer builds (no compiling necessary) are available. Download the highest revision of the .7z

The builds are portable and do not require an installation. Extract the file using 7zip and start the application by double clicking on FreeCAD.exe in the bin sub-directory of the extracted package.

NOTE: The Conda Win based build are packaged from here: GitHub - FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bundle: Stand-alone repo to Build and Deploy installable FreeCAD images
They should be the Windows equivalent of the Conda based .AppImage and .dmg

FreeCADLibs_12.1.4_x64_VC15.7z is not required to run the binaries provided here. It is a package that provides all necessary dependencies to compile FreeCAD with VS2015/17/19 (both release and debug mode). The package is provided courtesy of FreeCAD community member apeltauer.
The LP based Win build uses this library.

That is what I said. The official version is 0.18. Who wants more gets discomfort.

Appimage is quite nice, but in the end undermining the security and the package manager of linux.

Which version of Windows are you running? Have you tried right-clicking on FreeCAD_0.19.22266-Win-Conda_vc14.x-x86_64.7z and selecting Extract all from the right-click popup menu?

I’m using windows 10 and will try your suggestion. Thanks

Extract all produces the message ‘access to this zipped file is denied please change permissions before…’ I will continue with version.18 and if I master that I am sure .19 will be the standard. Thanks for your help anyway.

I’ve repackaged 0.19 as a ZIP file. Do you have a place where I can upload it?

Download here https://www.7-zip.org/ or WinRAR and you’re covered

Ender5r I have email or facebook, is that what you mean?

Freecad .19 is now loaded but don’t ask me how! Many thanks for all your comments.

OK, Glad to hear it. Moving on… :slight_smile:

I watched the Dr. Vax YouTube video to install FreeCad .19 on my Win 10 PC. I was successful in extracting the FreeCAD.exe from the Bin sub-directory and placing it on my desktop, however, when I double click to run the executable I get error messages. (see attached). I would really like to utilize FreeCAD .19 BETA vs .18 (official release version) per Irv’s recommendation. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. ?

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:7727}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:7728}[/ATTACH]

FreeCAD Install Error.JPG

FreeCAD Install Error2.JPG

IIRC, FreeCAD doesn’t get installed as most Windows programs do. So, instead of moving the FreeCAD.exe file to the desktop, create a shortcut to the file (while still in the BIN directory) and move the shortcut to the desktop.

Thank you for the quick reply. Will try that…stay tuned!

Having trouble in “create a shortcut to the file (while still in the BIN directory)”. Can you be more explicit. When I see it in 7-Zip BIN folder…