Another Mundane But Useful Print I Will Use Every Day (K-Cup)

I don’t know how many, but I presume at least some of you have Keurig style coffee brewers. I’m sure some of you just buy prefilled k-cups, but I suspect some of you do as I do and use refillable k-cups, like these:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3626.jpg Views: 0 Size: 992.5 KB ID: 6603”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“6603”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]
A few months ago, my wonderful Bunn MyCafe brewer died. I tried to fix it, get spare parts, or buy a new one. Unfortunately, it’s no longer made [SIZE=22px]?[/SIZE]

I finally bought a new Keurig K155. This is not a standard home use brewer; it’s designed for office use, so it has better & more robust parts. Given the amount of coffee I drink every day (decaf), I determined a consumer model would die in a year.

The brewer has worked well, but I ran into 1 issue: water leaking out around the top of some k-cups. It would spill onto the sides of my mug, the drop tray under the mug, and the counter top. There wasn’t a ton of it, but it was pretty annoying, not to mention it should be going into the coffee.

A few days ago, I noticed a pattern: it seems the only time water leaks out is when I brew with a k-cup that has a larger hole in its lid. You can see the difference by looking at the photo above. And this type of k-cup seems to be the only ones available on Amazon that will fit my brewer. I still don’t understand why a larger hole should cause this: the pad of the brewer that presses down on the k-cup seems to be more than wide enough to cover the hole. Still, it leaks.

I wondered if I could print a small adapter plate that could reduce the size of the hole in the k-cups with the larger hole, and if that would actually make a difference. So, I quickly designed & printed this our of white PETG (so it’s food safe):

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3629.jpg Views: 0 Size: 649.0 KB ID: 6604”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“6604”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

Crossing my fingers, I placed it on the top of a leaky k-cup and brewed a mug of coffee. And, guess what, it worked!! I got a nice, steady stream of coffee into the mug, without water spilling out all over.[SIZE=22px]?[/SIZE]

Here’s how it’s used:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: _MG_3627.jpg Views: 0 Size: 773.5 KB ID: 6605”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“6605”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

I do have to fess up & say it doesn’t stop ALL the water. During the brew, it does. After brewing, however, when I go to remove the k-cup, there are a few drops of water on the top of the k-cup, but it’s nothing like it was.

I have printed half a dozen of these & placed them on the top of the brewer, so they’re always on hand.

I like that story. 3d printers do come in handy at times.

If you know how to fix something by replacing a part, then 3D printing or CNCing is the solution!

A small update: I think I may have figured out why using an adapter with a smaller hole diameter works. I was thinking about regular K-cups and the fact that they normally have a laminated foil top cover. When the head of the Keurig brewer is closed, a tapered needle with slots cut into its sides comes down & pierces the K-cup top cover. Hot water is then pushed through those slots under pressure to make the coffee.

It suddenly hit me that, as the needle pierces the foil, it basically creates a seal around the needle, which keeps water from escaping & squirting out over the top of the K-cup. The larger holes in the refillable K-cups leave too much space around the needle, making it possible for water to leak out. By using the adapter plate, which effectively reduces the space around the needle, the water once again cannot leak out.

And the light goes on as in the comic books.

Nice job looks like something to test making a couple of bucks using a 3D printer