paint can

i am new by about 2 months now using freecad.19. Have learned a ton from dr vax for a 64 year old but am having a brain blockage trying to make a simple round spray can holder 110mm at the back and 70mm at the front and pocket or hole 68mm!! help please

Sorry, in your post in the other forum I forgot to recommend you post a screen capture of your efforts to date, as well as a photo of the spray can.

This might be an interesting idea for a video topic. How do you anticipate this working? Are you trying to design a trigger that presses the button on the top of the can? That mighty require modeling multiple parts and connecting them with a bolt. One problem with doing a trigger is you do not want to violate any patents so looking at existing products is a problem.

Doing a patent search isn’t that hard and it can be really interesting. I went through all that a few years ago.

That’s 1 of the many, many problems with the current patent system. I believe the rule used to be that you could make a patented item as long as it was only for your own use and there was no profit involved. We need to get back to that.

no no mine is not that difficult (to me it is as i am new) here are pics i just want a mount on the wall for my cleaner for the bed on my printer [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:10392}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:10393}[/ATTACH] Brian ps. this 3d printing is addicting but having a blast tks everybody

Ok. I get it. You just want a wall mount.

Here is a FreeCAD .19 model you can use as a starting point. The model is not properly constrained, and it is not parameterized, so do not use it as a sample of a professionally modeled solution. It should, however, give you an idea about how to combined sketches and use data planes to build models. I used the data plane to add the screw holes.

If I have some time, I will turn this into a video.

I used random dimensions, so you should click on each of the sketches one by one and put in the proper dimensions for your paint can. I also left the backplate a bit too large, and I would recommend making it just large enough to get to the screw holes with a screwdriver.

I included a photo so everyone can see what this looks like, and since it has no overhangs, it should print easily on any 3d printer. I have also attached the FreeCAD file.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“337”,“title”:“Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 2.26.18 PM.png”,“width”:“600”,“data-attachmentid”:10406}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]n10407[/ATTACH]

Let me know if this is helpful. Irv (Yes, I know only older people sign forum posts, but I am over 65, so I can do whatever I want :slight_smile: )

paint_can_holder.FCStd (43.3 KB)

@Irv_Shapiro, trying to find the signature. Did you use invisible ink?? :smiley:

“Let me know if this is helpful. Irv

@Ender5r "Let me know if this is helpful. Irv " :slight_smile:

Here is a video demonstrating how to produce a model for a problem like this. There are always multiple ways to solve any problems in a sophisticated program like FreeCAD this is just one approach. The key to succeeding in 3d CAD Modeling is to understand that you build up your model component by component. That is why I often start people in TinkerCAD so they learn this concept.

Hope you enjoy the video. I used a different editing style to try and reduce my editing time for hands-on software tutorials. Let me know what you think?

[video=youtube_share;4uEwHB7LciA]FreeCAD Multiple Sketches, Datum Planes, Pockets & Holes - YouTube

tks for the replies i will check it out. What do you mean by my signature?

Ah. I didn’t recognize that as a signature. Thx.

i watched the video tks so much it made a lot of sense!! just had an idea howabout everything the same except for the side view coming down on a angle just like we made the notepad holder but obviously round as the cylinder? tks brian

Tks Dr i will take on the challenge again tks for the videos for sure the last one brian

i finished the marble maze at midnight last night ( love retirement) great learning tool now making the 2nd 1 have 3 on ORDER from the kids around the block too bad this was not a money making affair joking loving it tks again DR.