Moon lamps

Very nice. I managed to grind a 0.6 STEEL nozzle into a >1mm nozzle in just the first few hours on our first attempt at the 4 inch version, so I got to practice a hot nozzle swap for the first time…the top did complete after the nozzle change though…I knew the luminous materials in the filaments we use were like sand paper but I did not think they were harder than hardened steel…

The second attempt has been printing over night with esteps change back to the default 93, a huge zhop, & no ‘equalize filament flow’ which moves the nozzle very quickly…will need to turn of ‘print thin walls’ the next time…way too many zhops by that…I think I still ground this second 0.6 steel nozzle too much since it is not looking as nice as the test prints or as your prints…

Also, is the ‘remesh’ you mention, the technique described here: Import from STL or OBJ - FreeCAD Documentation

You wore out steel nozzles??? Wow. What the heck is in that filament?

Actually, I shouldn’t have used the term remesh. What I did to used the FreeCAD mesh workbench to modify the moon lamp STL from Thingiverse. Here were the basic steps:

1. create the mount I needed in FreeCAD using Part or PartDesign–whichever works for you
  2. in the Mesh workbench, I converted my mount into a mesh
  3. I imported the moon STL, which is a mesh
  4. In Mesh workbench, I cut a hole in the moon where it needed to be for my mount by using a difference between the moon and a mesh cylinder
  5. in Mesh workbench, I did a union between the mesh version of my mount and moon

This Mark Ganson video shows those steps:

Great thanks! also did you use the ~250MB 8 inch version of the Moon or one of the larger sized files? I am also thinking of trying to follow his ‘Instructible’ to learn what I can do with the NASA data…

Some kind of impressive glowing material…even recharges with ambient infrared so they glow faintly all night long (or more strongly if in hot water)…the fast movement of “equalize filament flow” with the nozzle pressed into the print due to print warping, or over extrusion, or ‘ironing’ is likely the main ‘wear & tear’ trouble when using these filament types…so I will need to not use those settings with these filaments…

the blue-ish glowing one that ground the 0.6 nozzle in a few hours is the “eSun PLA+ Luminous Blue”, we also use the Extrudr “PETG Glow in the Dark” filament (greenish glow)…the eSun appears to be the more abrasive one…left to right in the attached image with steel nozzles" 0.4, 0.6, 0.6 worn, 0.8. Other image shows the brilliant glow achieved by these filaments…very fun I get to be a kid again :wink: & the 4 inch moon lamp printed with the 2nd 0.6 nozzle…My son wants to print a larger version & we will likely go with the 0.4 nozzle to hopefully get better gray-dations despite the much longer print time…

2hWornSteelNozzle.JPG

Great thanks! also did you use the ~250MB thingiverse files for the 5 inch & 8 inch versions you printed of the Moon or one of the larger sized files from his other www posting?

My son would like to print a larger version…I like the detail in the 5 inch version image you posted & we will likely go with the 0.4 nozzle to hopefully get better ‘gray-dations’ despite the much longer print time…I am also thinking of trying to follow his series of Moon Lamp ‘Instructibles’ to learn what I can do with the various available NASA data: https://www.instructables.com/Simplified-NASA-CGI-Moon-Lamp/

Some kind of impressive glowing material…even recharges with ambient infrared so they glow faintly all night long (or more strongly if in hot water)…the fast movement of “equalize filament flow” with the nozzle pressed into the print due to print warping, or over extrusion, or ‘ironing’ is likely the main ‘wear & tear’ trouble when using these filament types…so I will need to not use those settings with these filaments…

the blue-ish glowing one that ground the 0.6 nozzle in a few hours is the “eSun PLA+ Luminous Blue”, we also use the Extrudr “PETG Glow in the Dark” filament (greenish glow)…the eSun appears to be the more abrasive one…left to right in the attached image with steel nozzles" 0.4, 0.6, 0.6 worn, 0.8.

Other images show the brilliant glow achieved by these filaments (very fun I get to be a kid again :wink: & their color in daylight, the 4 inch moon lamp printed with the 2nd 0.6 nozzle…

2hWornSteelNozzle.JPG

I just used the ~250MB version. As it was, it took 15 hours of spinning beachball in FreeCAD to do the 2 mesh operations to merge my mount to the 250 MB 8" moon and 107 hours to print. I hate to imagine using a higher resolution moon.

The 5" moon is a good size. That’s the size of the moon I have on my LED turntable base and it’s just right sitting on my computer desk. It looks like that is the 3" moon you printed with a raft? Turned out great! Just a heads up that it is worth trying to print it without a raft or a brim–at least it worked for me to just use a skirt. I’m using the Ender 3 V2 stock build plate with Magigoo.

Now I always have a full moon:

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: IMG_0480 (1).jpeg Views: 2 Size: 1.42 MB ID: 8270”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“8270”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: IMG_0484.jpeg Views: 2 Size: 393.3 KB ID: 8269”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“8269”,“data-size”:“medium”}[/ATTACH]

By the way, before anyone asks about those red and green light specks–we have one of those star shower laser lights pointed at the trees behind our house. Moon and stars even on a rainy night.

Very impressive. Looks quite realistic. 10 Brownie Points to you my friend. 'Course, I have to take back 6 points for having 1 of those shower laser lights :slight_smile: