Klipper benefits without input shaping

I decided to add Klipper to my Ender 3 V2. I used a Pi 0 and with some effort and a lot of googling got it set up and working nicely. I have not added input shaping (not sure the Pi 0 can handle it), so the only benefit I see in this so far is that it provides a nice web interface for printer control. I haven’t used Octoprint, so that might be better, but none the less I am pleased with the outcome.

Has anyone used Klipper on a printer without input shaping and found benefits beyond what I have seen? Has anyone added an acclerometer to a Pi and found a good guide for the hardware and software set up? I may upgrade the Pi and give it a try on my Ender 3.

Here is a pretty good tread on Klipper

Thanks for the link. I did not search the forum first - as I should have. It seems there could be a few things to explore. It did take me a while to set it up, but it was my first time setting up a Pi for anything, and I had a bad cable, so it did take a several hours of work. However, once I got the hang of it, making modifications was fairly easy and the Mainsail interface was nice to have.

Thanks again for the link

Have you set up pressure advance? The Klipper documentation has pretty good documentation (if a bit arcane) and it lists a number of other features/advantages that may or may not be important to you.

It is possible to measure input shaping values without an ADXL. Basically, print a part with increasing acceleration in the z-axis (the same test as in the latest version Marlin) and pick the height with the least ringing. I think Nero3D has a video on it. That said, I used a FYSTEC portable input shaper that has a USB-C connector (no messing with GPIO pins) and a pretty good setup instructions on GITHUB. I’d be happy to provide more details if interested.

Cheers

Alan,
Thanks! I am interested and would appreciate any additional info/tips. I am reluctant to try to solder. I haven’t done any soldering for 40 or more years, so if there is a solder free option like this, it would be interesting to try. Would this be the type of accelerometer to use: https://www.amazon.com/FYSETC-Portable-Upgraded-Klippe-r-Triden-t-Pack/dp/B0B8MMW2Z9/ref=sr_1_2?crid=23DYEI48DQVIA&keywords=fysetc&qid=1687468081&s=industrial&sprefix=fystec%2Cindustrial%2C96&sr=1-2 ?

Yes, that’s the one. I liked this ADXL variant as I too don’t like soldering (or crimping for that matter).

I’ll upload my notes in the next day or so. The GITHUB instructions were good, but I also benefited from a detailed Amazon review (that had one mistake).

Cheers

That was easier than I feared. Attached are my notes on setting up the Fystec Portable Input Shaper. Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers

FYSTEC PORTABLE INPUT SHAPER.pdf (1.9 MB)

Alan,
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I will be carving out some time to install this on an Ender 5