I was printing a number of screw-on lids for silica gel containers. While monitoring the print run via camera, I noticed that 1 of the lids broke free part way through the run. This was leading to a situation where I would have to monitor the whole run in person, to prevent the filament that would have become part of the missing lid from becoming spaghetti all over the other lids. That, or abandon the run and start over.
I had an inspiration. I reached into a drawer under the printer and pulled something out. This is what I did:
Yep, I peeled off a layer of post-it notes the same thickness as the lid that broke free. Then I attached the layer of notes to the printbed using binder clips. I watched long enough to ensure that the nozzle could get over the paper without catching its edge. It worked. Instead of the filament winding up as spaghetti all over the place, it got printed onto the paper, quite nicely in fact – the lid is actually almost useable.