Ender 3 V2 Print Help


I’m trying to print the turbine files from thingverse site and so far my ender 3 V2 has been doing very well. I have moved on to a new part “shaft” and my outer walls look like the attached picture. I didn’t notice this with other PLAs but this new one I’m using (Halo 3D) prints like the attached picture. How do I get the outer wall to smooth out? I have calibrated extruder and use the metal upgrade…there must be some setting I’m overlooking?

Print settings: (Cura 4.8)
.16 layer
1.2 wall thickness
40 mm/sec print speed
20mm/s in/out wall speed
205C PLA
50C Bed
5 retraction distance
25 retraction speed

Any other information to prove some assistance?

I presume you’re referring to the band of filament around the middle that sticks out from the rest of the sloped wall. If it’s supposed to be a straight sloped wall, it is indeed pretty odd. I’m wondering if you’re having an issue similar to what other V2 owners have experienced:

[U]X and Y Layer Shift on Ender 3 v2 - MakeWithTech Community Forum

[U]Ender 3 V2 layer shifting issues. - MakeWithTech Community Forum

Actually the band near the middle that sticks out a little is OK and suppose to be there. I’m referring to the small imperfections in the wall that are all over (the wall is not perfectly smooth).

OK, but this is 3D printing, which means the object is made up of layers, a bit like a brick wall. In my experience, walls, particularly sloped ones, are never truly smooth. If you want truly smooth walls, I would refer you to this video: [U]Simple way to make your 3d printed parts looks Amazing - YouTube.

Humm, OK, my other parts came out a little nicer, not that that this is really bad just hoping for a smoother wall. I do not want to start sanding this part as the PLA finish is what I’m going for. Just seems the imperfections are “systematic” and repeated so it must be mechanical??

Be aware that vertical walls will be smoother than sloped ones (the small setback needed on each layer to create the slope leads to a little rougher finish). Now, having said that, I have used a filament that has given a smoother finish than others I’ve used: [U]A Beautiful Failed Print - MakeWithTech Community Forum.

I haven’t tried this yet but sounds interesting and might help with your issue. Arc Welder - Smoother, Faster, Better 3D Prints! Its like magic to improve your 3D Print quality. - YouTube

Yes, I understand that the set back for each layer might cause some edges up the part but that’s not what I’m talking about, maybe try this picture as it is closer in to identify what I’m talking about: to me there are small gaps (or bumps?) between layers on the outer wall:

Ah, I think I see what you’re getting at: the ‘nubs’ that appear randomly around the slope? If so, this has come up in the forum before. I can’t be certain, but I seem to recall that some of this was related to things like flow rate, E-steps, & Z-steps. If you haven’t calibrated these things, I would do so.

OK, I have calibrated extruder to about 102 E steps originally when I set up the printer from the beginning, I think default was 93. This gave me exactly 100mm of extrusion when measured. How do you calibrate z steps? I didn’t think you did?

Leaving aside the Z steps for a moment, did you calibrate the E steps for this particular filament? Each filament can require it’s own E step setting, because some filaments melt/flow easier than others.

How much filament is needed to calibrate the E steps?

At the most, I would say 200 to 300 mm (it shouldn’t take more than 3 feeds to find the right rate.

Just a follow up, after re-calibrating my extruder and checking over everything mechanically (cleaned and re-greased Z worm gear), slightly loosened my belts I re-printed the part and guess what…those bands you mentioned in the earlier post appeared. I then tighten the belts back up and re-printed and the bands went away.

So I think I solved why people are getting bands in their prints - loose belts! See right picture…

My problem is consistent no matter what I try:(

That’s good work. So calibrating the E steps didn’t help. That’s too bad. If I think of something else, I’ll post.

Thanks, I had not looked at the process details.