A couple of more whimsical prints.

Just for giggles, I printed a couple of items I don’t really need: a vase & an iris box.

I printed the vase to test what I can do with wood filament, and the iris box just to see if I could print it & have it work. The vase came out OK, but not perfect, and the iris box took some work after printing to get it working, but I did get it to work.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“285”,“width”:“198”,“data-attachmentid”:5601}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“289”,“width”:“218”,“data-attachmentid”:5598}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“256”,“width”:“290”,“data-attachmentid”:5599}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“custom”,“height”:“259”,“width”:“279”,“data-attachmentid”:5600}[/ATTACH]

Nice prints!

Which wood filament did you use, and would you pick it again?

It’s Sunlu Wood filament. I’m not sure I would order it again, at least not without trying another brand. I found it was quite prone to stringing. Now, I’m not saying I had it dialed in as much as it could have been, but I had some post processing to do.

The iris boxes are impressive. I have always had trouble printing these without them sticking together. Never spent the time to fine-tune a printer sufficiently to make them perfect. I have been tempted to scale them up which will also scale up the clearances and make them easier to print.

Irv, the 1 I printed is actually designed to be a little stuck togerther after printing. It needs to be worked loose. It took a bit, and 1 of the iris leaves actually came loose & I had to use a small jack knife to get it back into place but, in the end, it works.

As mentioned before, I’ve been having good luck with overriding the Cura default to use inner wall(s) flow of 90% instead of 100%:


The iris box looked like a good challenge to see how that setting is doing, and it worked great:


Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.28.31 AM.png

Nice. It’s not very useful of course, but it is interesting, & a good test print.

I printed that once upon a time with mediocre success as I remember. I’m trying to print a bearing now. It didn’t work at 100 % so I am trying 200 %.