I just watched two videos that have inspired me.

Don’t know about an alcohol alternative. You could check the MG Chemicals site. You could also opt for handpainting, especially if you thin the paint down. That would produce a lot fewer fumes. Or you could get a small activated carbon blower filter, spray inside a box, of hand paint then place the item(s) into a box with the filter.

I just realized that this solution I mixed ate all my sacrificial copper and that is why I have such a dark solution. It may be just a super concentrate that I can thin out with vinegar.
I may not have lost my solution at all! Yeah team! Let’s see if I am right.

I am thinking of another effect that can be done with electroplating. Just like lost wax the plastic forms the matrix then you burn it out at a temperature that will burn PLA but not melt the metal.

I thinned a bit of a glass full and added some vinegar and it looks very hopeful. I just can’t believe what that tiny 6v 200 milliamp power supply did.

This is getting totally interesting. Modern kitchen chemistry!

I have just spent eight days trying to get my internet back. I kept some notes on my experiments making electrolytes and testing home made electroplating paint.
I ended up getting the last one that Ender5r suggested.

Here are my cut and pasted notes and laments. It is a long read but might be of interest to some.

On second thought I’ll wait till I do an experiment with my Amazon electroplating solution as suggested by Ender5r. I am anxious to see if I can make it work. But I am afraid to try it. When I am in a period where everything is going wrong I wait till later. I am still suffering with the after effects of internet withdrawal syndrome.