Creating internal threads in FreeCad

I have been using Fusion 360 for a while, but am tired of having to pay $400+ per year to do so. I was wondering if there was an easy way to create threads in FreeCad that is similar to Fusion 360?
I have watched several videos on creating threads but all have been extremely laborious and step intensive.
Your help in this is greatly appreciated.
BTW your you tube videos are great.

Nathan

There’s a fastener workbench that lets you create almost any kind of fastener with threads you want, and there’s also a screw maker macro you can download. Go to Tools->addon manager and you can find them.

Thank you. I did as you said, however…
when I go to download a list of macros it says retrieving from wiki then seems to hang from there with all the choices greyed out.
Currently running macOS Catalina 10.15 17
Any help appreciated.

Nathan.

What version are you running? Should try the latest 0.19 version, not the “stable” .18.

The addon manager of the V0.18.5 was broken for a while as Microsoft changed GitHub, which is used as server. Only V0.19 got a bugfix. Then, after month the FreeCAD developers merged the addon manager from 0.19 to 0.18 and released a bugfix for V0.18.5.

It took Microsoft two days to break the new bugfix again, by performing random changes to GitHub. This time - of course - also the V0.19 got broken.

So unless a V0.18.6 appears, you need the latest daily of V0.19, which might got the fix already. However I do not see a fix in the RealThunder daily release notes, yet. I did not try it, so there is a chance someone fixed the issue recently without posting a note.

These are the “joys” of coding, when you sit on dependencies. Someone out of reach is breaking something and you need to find the problem and work around. That is why I prefer not to use any external dependencies when ever possible. Seems the only way here would be to host the stuff on the FreeCAD page, which costs additional money and is a ton of work to maintain, which would drain from FreeCAD development.

Thank you for your help. I was able to solve the threads on a bolt problem, but creating the corresponding threads inside an object is proving to be elusive for me. I have been trying to use the “create a hole with the selected sketch” button but the parameters for defining the threads is greyed out. Any help appreciated.

This is how I learned the TreadProfile workbench: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iD…shYGa&index=33

Mark’s videos usually build on each other, but try just watching that one and see if it gets you going with internal threads.

In fact, this print I posted today uses internal threads using ThreadProfile.

Excellent! Thank you all for your help. I have been able to solve my internal thread problems and can now go on to solve the worlds problems, or at least create a clamp for my bicycle light…