Lastest PETG print

Needed a battery tray for a LCG RC rig I am building. Designed it in Freecad and printed it on the Ender 3 v2 with Polymaker PETG. I think it’s going to work fine.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:14955}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:14953}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:14952}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:14954}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:14956}[/ATTACH]

This is just one of the parts I have printed with PETG for the build. I also printed a Dig servo bracket and a mount to move the steering servo from the frame to the front axle to add some non sprung weight to the front wheels.

Looks great, wish I could do some kind of CAD, any program would be great. I have a copy of Auto CAD, about 2005 version. I have not even installed it on this computer. I never understood how to use it. A friend took a course at the local community collage. He encouraged me to purchase a copy. I never got to build anything. He tried to help me through learning. I just got more and more confused. I think that I have a mental block because of that. He died back in 2020.

I was never good at drawing either. When I got my 1st 3d printer I tried using OneShape and was just clumsy & clunky to me. I then downloaded a copy of Freecad and started messing with it. Took a while to understand it, I mostly use the Part Design workbench. I have watched a ton of videos on it, some better than others. This guy has some good tutorials on Freecad he wanders a little and rambles a bit but seems to know it pretty well. https://www.youtube.com/c/MangoJellySolutions

Freecad is free and has Windows, MacOS and Linux versions, personally I use the Linux version. I would say download it and install it. Freeecad also has some good tutorials on their site. Start simple and work from there. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what I want to do but I just keep plugging away.

I agree with @Gramps about FreeCAD. You should certainly give it a try. I would also suggest signing up for the Community Edition of Fusion 360. It is also free. There are some limitations compared to the paid versions but I haven’t run into anything that’s limited what I wanted to do.

From what I’ve seen/experienced, people seem to get on better with FreeCAD or F360, but not both. I found F360 easier to use; @Gramps found FreeCAD easier. Try them both; pick the 1 that suits you best.

Also, when learning F360 (not that I’m any kind of expert on it) I watched a bunch of videos on it by Paul McWhorter on YT. He created a series he calls Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying :slight_smile:. Here’s a link to lesson 1: [U]Learn Fusion 360 or Die Trying LESSON 1: Introduction tutorial for Absolute Beginners - YouTube

I agree about FreeCAD or Fusion360. Both are more than capable of handling most hobbyists’ needs. I started with Fusion 360 which is more refined but the workflow in FreeCAD seems easier to me.