At last, I don't burn my fingers making coffee...

I am a BIG coffee drinker, I have around 80 oz of coffee a day. Before you go, “Say what?!”, let me tell you only 8 of those oz are caffeinated. The rest are Swiss Water Process decaf.

That said, I do make my version of Bullet Coffee. That’s 8 oz coffee, 1 teaspoon butter, 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon whipping cream. This blend does require using a whipper to emulsify the oil, butter, and cream into the coffee. To ensure that the coffee doesn’t go splashing all over the place, I whip it in a 1 pint Mason Jar.

I make all this coffee in an industrial/office quality Keurig coffee maker. It works well, but the 1 thing it can’t do is get my coffee hot enough. After brewing, the Mason jar goes into the microwave, on high, for 30 seconds, which gets it just right. Of course, the Mason jar gets even hotter. I can pick it up by the threaded rim, but I often would burn a knuckle. Not really dangerous, but not pleasant either.

So, I decided to make myself a 3D printer Mason jar holder. I looked for such a thing previously on thingiverse. I tried a couple of the ones I found, but they didn’t work well. A couple of days ago I decided it was time to design my own.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:12635}[/ATTACH]
Here it is in Fusion 360

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:12636}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“medium”,“data-attachmentid”:12637}[/ATTACH]
A couple of views of the actual printed part. It works really well. I didn’t get the thread 100% correct, but it’s good enough to get the job done.

A nice one for every day usage. Well done!

I would not have printed the ring part flat on the surface for safety reasons. Of course this depends on the infill used, but I would have printed it the ring side down with an 20-30° angle at x and y axis. This way the layer lines on the handle are getting longer and less in the “usage”-direction. Of course you will need a little bit of support and probably some sanding to get the rings top smooth, but I would feel more secure holding and using your handle that way.

But that is only me and my experience when printing the safe door latch and a flimsy clip in hinge. Both broke like butter when printed normal, but you are not able to break them without extensive force just by changing the print orientation a few degree. Sometimes print orientation and the use of a little support make a product better big time.

1 Like

@Geit, good observations. However, I did take orientation into account. That’s one of the reasons (besides comfort) that the handle is as large as it is. The whole holder is printed with 12 walls and gyroid infill (of which there is only a little bit in the handle. Before using it to carry hot coffee, I filled the jar with hot tap water and jerked the jar around to see how well it holds up. Turns out it’s good, especially since it only has to hold 250 ml of coffee at a time.

Also, I’m not sure how relevant it is, but the holder was printed at 120mm/sec. Maybe that helped layer bonding, since the filament would still be soft?

Beautify design.

After I perk coffee I have to heat it in the microwave too.