Spots of Filament on Two Color Print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spots of Filament on Two Color Print

Hey everyone. Here is my setup. I am running a Raise 3d E2 in two color mode. Black filament in right extruder and yellow in left. MatterHacker Build PLA at 200 for active extruder and 175 for inactive one (which heats up to 200 when it becomes active. Using IdeaMaker as the slicer.

I am running a wipe wall around the print. Both heads are clean and flowing well.

I have tried a wipe tower and it helped a little, but mostly confirmed to me something I will explain in a bit.

Here is my problem. If you notice in the right hand yellow area, there are numerous black spots from the black filament being deposited. I am assuming, based on the wipe tower changing the location of the spots, that it has something to do with oozing while the head is traveling over the yellow.

What I am trying to figure out is how to combat this. Like I said, I tried switching to a tower to wipe the heads and what it did was move the spots to the same side of the print as the tower, which indicates to me that it is indeed along the travel path.

I am working through different settings changes one by one, but it is taking a lot of time and using a lot of filament.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

When I started printing last year, in my quest to find the best for printing miniatures, I came across filament a few times which just keeps leaving debris behind in next prints, way into the print. If alternative colors are available, I just look for another filament brand. If not, I clean well with cleaning filament. Not something you can do printing 2 colors. But I would suggest trying to find a better black.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigjes View Post
      When I started printing last year, in my quest to find the best for printing miniatures, I came across filament a few times which just keeps leaving debris behind in next prints, way into the print. If alternative colors are available, I just look for another filament brand. If not, I clean well with cleaning filament. Not something you can do printing 2 colors. But I would suggest trying to find a better black.
      Thanks for the reply, but I finally figured it out. I changed a number of settings, but I think the key was to set zhop. I set it at .5 mm and the problem has disappeared.

Comment

Good work wgragg. I was going to suggest 2 other things: lowering the temp, to reduce oozing, and increasing the retraction, to draw the filament back into the nozzle, again to reduce oozing. I find that printing a 2-tower stringing test helps me find the best combo to stop stringing. That seems to help a lot with preventing color mixing.

Comment

Working...
        X