Looking for help on rechargeable fence post lights

This is an appeal mainly, I suppose, to the EE’s and others in the forum who have more electrical/electronic knowledge than me, which is most of you :slight_smile:

I’m looking to design and make around 10 light boxes that will mount on top of the railing posts of my deck and the fence posts in my backyard. I’m not worried about the physical design of the boxes. What I need help/guidance with is the electronic portion. To start I’m looking at the following characteristics: [LIST=1]

• provide enough light to provide some illumination of the ground from 5 feet/1.75M high, for 4 to 5 hours;
  • have a roof with 2 sloping sides, 1 of which will face sunward. They should receive decent sunlight for 5 to 7 hours per day, maybe a little more;
  • use rechargeable batteries, preferably AA, but others could be used if it's deemed more suitable;
  • use LED(s). Not sure which ones; looking for suggestions;
  • suitable for outdoor use;
  • hopefully, a sensor that would only turn the lights on when it gets to dusk or a little beyond. [/LIST] How feasible is this? What size of solar panels would be required? What voltage LEDs would be best? How many, and what type of batter(ies)?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

• I am not an EE, but if you do a web search there are several ready made options for solar lighting that would be a lot easier than a DIY design.
    I would first do a web search for: “solar deck light” or “solar deck post light” to see what is available. Then if you really need a different enclosure, find a version where the solar panel, battery(s), light, and photocell can be adapted to your enclosure design - much easier than building your own solar electronics.

I have checked existing designs but not found 1 that totally fits my needs. As to adapting existing electronics, I will look into it.

I do not know if this is what you are looking for but I found these on Amazon. I bought some lights at Sam’s that had I guess Bluetooth links that when one was triggered they would all come on. I am sure that if Sam’s had them your local building supply or lighting store would have them also. Here is the link on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fence+post+lights+solar+powered&crid=1ZFMFM8584OXO&sprefix=fence+post%2Caps%2C214&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_10

I’m looking to revive this project. Are there any electronic engineers on the forum who can assist?

My neighbor has caps on the top of the post on his deck that are solar powered lights. Not sure of the source or remember exactly what they look like but I can find out and take some photos if you want.

I’m pretty sure I can design the body of the lights. I need help with designing the circuitry. I don’t know what battery(ies) to use, how big a solar panel I need, and what LEDs to use.

If you are intent on designing lights for yourself instead of buying, here is a web page to help: https://thephoenixsun.com/how-to-make-a-solar-light-from-scratch/

thanks. I’ll check it out.