Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filament Spool Ends Used Right! :D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Vassili Finellis View Post
    His idea is quite good enough, but i would prefer printed two pieces spool for refill filament replace.
    I tend to agree. A break apart spool would be compatible with all the existing equipment.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ender5r View Post

      I tend to agree. A break apart spool would be compatible with all the existing equipment.
      Yeah, but there is the flaw in the system.

      Do you want to print spools for all your filament? Just check how many spools do you have right now. That is the minimum number of "break apart spools" you need. It does not matter if you print the spools or buy special spools for that matter. Once you added the filament to a spool, it sits there until the spool is empty.

      That´s why the printing from bag mechanism in the video above is so elegant. You print the holder once. Maybe two or three if you have more printers that you want to use at the same time. That´s all. You also don´t need special containers for your filament, as the filament is still in its bag. You just need a small piece of tape to reseal it.

      Also the filament cannot hop sideways from a new spool as there is no spool and all sides are bag

      Comment


      • #18
        I don't quite understand. Once I have a number of master spools, I can just reuse them over & over. I don't need a master spool for every spool of filament I have, because I have duplicates, which don't need master spools.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
          I don't quite understand. Once I have a number of master spools, I can just reuse them over & over. I don't need a master spool for every spool of filament I have, because I have duplicates, which don't need master spools.
          But if you have 20 colors of filament you need 20 master spools. And if one spool has only 200g left and you need 250g of the same color for a print and don´t have the time to change filament. You need a second master spool for the same color. Just count up all the plastic you need for that compared to that simple bag rotating system you only need once.
          Last edited by Geit; 09-27-2020, 09:25 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            There is another way.......
            Thinking simple is the hardest way.....

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Geit View Post

              But if you have 20 colors of filament you need 20 master spools. And if one spool has only 200g left and you need 250g of the same color for a print and don´t have the time to change filament. You need a second master spool for the same color. Just count up all the plastic you need for that compared to that simple bag rotating system you only need once.
              I could see that, if I was ever to have that many colors, which I doubt will ever happen. I've got black, white, red, orange,
              blue, yellow, and wood. I may add some green. That'd be about it.

              One thing about the bag system: how do I splice ends of rolls together? That is still something I want to do.

              Comment


              • #22
                A two part printed spool will separate everytime you want to use a specific refill filament. Open the bag, pull out the filament, put on the spool, print, take it out of the spool, put it in the bag, close the bag. And so on!
                Thinking simple is the hardest way.....

                Comment


                • #23
                  A simple piece of tape isn't going to close that bag. What you describe is basically what Richard Horne (RichRep) described on YT. Don't get me wrong, what Geit described is quite interesting. I can even see a modification wherein a small valve is added to the bag, so the filament can be fed out through it, and then pushed back into the bag and a hinged cap closed to seal the bag again.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ender5r View Post
                    A simple piece of tape isn't going to close that bag. What you describe is basically what Richard Horne (RichRep) described on YT. Don't get me wrong, what Geit described is quite interesting. I can even see a modification wherein a small valve is added to the bag, so the filament can be fed out through it, and then pushed back into the bag and a hinged cap closed to seal the bag again.
                    I didn't say anything about " a single piece of tape". Sealing a bag to prevent the moisture to get in, is another thing!
                    Thinking simple is the hardest way.....

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Vassili Finellis View Post

                      I didn't say anything about " a single piece of tape". Sealing a bag to prevent the moisture to get in, is another thing!
                      I understand. What I was trying to do is reference Geit's comment about how a simple piece of tape could be used to reseal the bag. Taking the filament out of the bag obviously makes that impossible, But I do get your point: a master spool concept could be used to only hold filament when it is actually being used. The rest of the time the filament stays in the bag. It would certainly greatly reduce the number of master spools needed, maybe to as few as 2.

                      It would be an interesting blend of the 2 approaches. Resealing the bag is, as you say, another thing. It would have to be solved. Unfortunately, ZipLock bags just aren't airtight. We need bags that are airtight.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Is bagged filament cheaper than filament with a reel?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          In theory, yes, but I think you will that, at least in North America, your choice for non-spooled filament is very limited.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It would not be worth changing your system then.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Ender5r View Post

                              I understand. What I was trying to do is reference Geit's comment about how a simple piece of tape could be used to reseal the bag. Taking the filament out of the bag obviously makes that impossible, But I do get your point: a master spool concept could be used to only hold filament when it is actually being used. The rest of the time the filament stays in the bag. It would certainly greatly reduce the number of master spools needed, maybe to as few as 2.

                              It would be an interesting blend of the 2 approaches. Resealing the bag is, as you say, another thing. It would have to be solved. Unfortunately, ZipLock bags just aren't airtight. We need bags that are airtight.
                              Yes, blending two approaches would made the best result. Just think of Geit's filament dryer that could be blend here two (!!!!!!)
                              Thinking simple is the hardest way.....

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Well, unless my local filament store isn´t selling any spools without an actual spool I stick with it. Maybe they take the spools back and have a way to recycle then for new spools.

                                I really have to ask them the next time I visit them. The empty spools here are piling up again.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X