Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Simple photo editing software for lithophanes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Ender I like your arduino idea. I think rotating slowly has its drawbacks. Rotating quickly at 90 degree increments would keep the lithophane square to the world and more visible instead of showing people a corner of the lamp most of the time.

Comment

Yes. An ND filter or even a color filter might be interesting. If you do not care about a specific size, you can purchase them for under $5 online. On the other hand, you also may be able to dim your light by just reducing the voltage with some registers.

Comment

Originally posted by irvshapiro View Post
        Yes. An ND filter or even a color filter might be interesting. If you do not care about a specific size, you can purchase them for under $5 online. On the other hand, you also may be able to dim your light by just reducing the voltage with some registers.
        I was thinking of various options for brightness:
        • hard-wire say, 330 Ohm resistors inline if using DC with LED lighting;
        • optionally, increase the options by adding a 2 or 3 position slide switch to select different resistances;
        • wire in a potentiometer so the brightness could be dialed in;
        • use ND gel sheets. They look like sheets of paper but are made of transparent plastic and are tinted to various levels of darknesss. Simply cut them to fit the lithos and put them behind the litho inside the lamp. One advantage of this approach would be that it would be possible to use different darknesses for different lithos, thereby compensating for lithos that might be lighter or darker than each other.

Comment

So far it seems to me that in this particular lamp with this battery fed lcd the illumination is quite good. The rotating function becomes more interesting. I think the composition of the plastic in the lithophane takes care the illumination. After all it is a constant light source and if the lithophanes are based on that it can be controlled when you make the lithophane. The KISS principle.

Comment

Certainly controlling the thickness of lithos should go a long way to getting consistant brightness from litho to litho. The ND filter remain an option if needed. Also, colored filters could be interesting.

Comment

So far using supports seems to be working. The time has gone from 5.5 hours to 7 plus hours but at least it doesnt seem to be wiggling at 77 % done.

Comment

I don't worry much about the time. Funny saying that, considering my age, but I'd rather a longer, successful print than a quicker, failed one.

For example, I'm currently printing a BDay present for my daughter. Despite her having grown into a working adult quite a number of years ago, she still likes to game. In particular, she loves her Nintendo Switch. So, I'm printing 2 Switch game pack holders for her. The bases each take around 36 hours. The wite symbology takes about 20 min. The 1st one should be done in the wee hours of tomorrow morning.

I first texted her the item on Tverse and asked if she could use something like that. She replied, "Those are a-w-e-s-o-m-e!!". I took that to mean "yes"

Click image for larger version

Name:	3c5dd1df5cf9d5b9578e251c5bb4f344_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	3034

Comment

My daughter and her beau have every game machine that has existed since they started it seems. Its a video game museum at their place.

My daughter used to beat me at video games when she was 5 years old. Im not very good.

Comment

I hear that. We're pretty much the wrong generation. Fortunately, I've been involved in IT most of my life, so I did get exposed to video games at a time when the vast majority of adults didn't. Mind you, not having played video games since I was a teen, or younger, means my reflexes are not up to scratch compared to my kids and younger generations, but I did get to introduce them to high tech and teach them good and bad tech habits, many that they still know and use. I played quake with both of them many, many times. My wife and I do enjoy playing mystery/puzzle games such as Tex Murphy and Myst.

Comment

I cant think of anything I can play well. I just watch my kids play and my grandson when hes around.

Comment

The games we play don't require any significant hand-eye co-ordination. They're more mental challenges, and some visual.

Comment

I stick with crossword puzzles. My room mate keeps telling everyone Im the fastest crossword player in the world. An exageration of couse. He cant even speak english so what would he know about English crossword puzzles.

Comment

People used to say that about my father.

Comment

I have to keep my damaged brain busy as best I can.

Comment

OMG, have a look at this guy's lithos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYLt...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                                X