Question Regarding Extruder Drive Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Extruder Drive Gears

I was looking on Amazon for 26 tooth steel gears for my Artist D extruders. It doesn't appear there are any. What I found was 36 and 40 tooth gears. Other than the number of teeth, the gears from JG Maker and Amazon seem to have the same dimensions.

Here's my question: should I not be able to use the 36 toothed gear? Isn't just a matter of re-calibrating the extruder steps so it feeds the correct length of filament?

I ordered the 36 gear steel gears. I have them but was going to let the bronze deteriorate more before I changed one. Been busy on printing and didn't want to delay. Personally, I do not think the extra teeth will make a difference. The gear is moving at the same rate of speed. The teeth are more and give more of a bite but does not pull any more filament. Re-calibrating would probably improve the flow setting.
    Lowteck
    Last edited by Lowteck; 12-16-2021, 04:02 AM.

Comment

There would certainly be a limit; if you tried to use a 1000 tooth gear, the dimensions of the individual teeth clearly wouldn't mesh unless the gear was huge. Assuming the gear is the same size, it's the tolerance of the fit that would determine how far your new gear could stray from the original design. I imagine the tolerances on an extruder are tight, so the difference in geometry may cause excessive wear.
      If you try it, I suggest disassembling and checking the extruder for wear after a few days.

Comment

• Lowteck
        Lowteck
        Lowteck commented
        Editing a comment
        With the size, circumference, with 1000 teeth, it would almost be smooth. That is the other side of the filament gear. It is smooth. The only thing the teeth mesh with is the filament. For some reason the bronze is apparently soft and the filament was/is causing the teeth to wear faster than what steel would ware. I think that was designed by JG Maker to generate $$$. By having these odd items like the 26 teeth gear, not the standard 36, the drop out nozzles which no other inanity is manufacturing. They have another source of income they can enjoy.
        Ender5r
        Ender5r mentioned changing out the extruder/hot-end to a standard being used by other upgrades would be great. But, then you would also have to change the cabling or have a work around. I enjoy tinkering so I really like this oddity.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. Originally, I had a concern that having a different number of teeth could affect the E-steps. But, now, I don't think it's a factor. I think what realy matters is the gear's outside diameter. I agree with
      vankichline
      vankichline that a really large increase in the number of teeth could affect the gear's ability to physically grip the filament, but I'm not so convinced that going from 26 to 36 teeth constitutes that large of an increase.

Lowteck
      Lowteck, I look forward to your experience with the SS gears.

Comment

• Lowteck
        Lowteck
        Lowteck commented
        Editing a comment
        After Christmas I will take time to change the gear in extruder 2. It had not worn as much as extruder 1 and it was changed two days before the steel gears arrived. I am eager to see how it improves the flow rate. The GST3SD filament which is PLA+ has required almost what I calibrated it originally. The observation I have seen by this -- Each time you change filament, you need to re-calibrate your steps and flow.
        Another note: The packing foam that I am using to help level my table has a second benefit. Damping vibrations. Bad observation: It compacts and requires replacing every 3 to 5 days.
        The GST3D filament was purchased on Amazon for $9.99 and it says "Made in America" not China. When searching -- A lot of the filament shows for $#14.95 and up, but one will show $9.99. Usually showing black only. Go ahead and select, after you select the black, after it switches to full screen info, it will pop up all colors they have and multiple spools choices.
        Lowteck
        Last edited by Lowteck; 12-19-2021, 02:44 AM.
    Working...
    X