First Layer Adhesion Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Layer Adhesion Problems

Any Advice on how to improve my first layer adhesion? I just leveled the bed and use abl for the fine touches. I'm trying to make a gear with a hexagonal center.

A bed adhesion agent might help. I recently started using Dimafix. I posted about it here: https://forum.makewithtech.com/forum...ive-to-magigoo

Comment

• Ender5r
      Ender5r commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of curiosity, did you clean the printbed (i.e. wash off the glue stick from the 1st print) before doing the 2nd print? Many of the adhesion boosters can last through more than 1 print.

• Sirvini
      Sirvini commented
      Editing a comment
      I did clean it, mild soap and water with a kitchen sponge.

• Ender5r
      Ender5r commented
      Editing a comment
      So, a minor mystery then. Hmmmm.

BTW, the reason I do not use glue stick is because it sometimes worked way too well. I broke 3 or 4 glass sheets because I could get a print to release from the bed. That's when I gave up. After fairly extensive experimentation I have settled on a textured, PEI-coated spring steel sheet. I then use the Dimafix to ensure the model will release easily from the bed. So far, it's working the best I've ever had. Plus, since the sheet will obviously stick magnetically to the heated bed, there is no need for bed clips of any kind.... 1 less thing to futz about.

The nozzle distance is not optimal. These "fail" sections looks like you are just a little to close to the bed or a little bit to far. Hart to say from this pictures.

I would lift the head just a little.

Comment

• Sirvini
      Sirvini commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw this after making a few other prints that turned out ok. Next time I have this issue I'll be sure to stick my camera closer to the head to get a better image of the head height.

Thank you for the feedback.

Level the bed, make sure the nozzle is not partially clogged, level the bed again, check a 0.2 mm nozzle to bed clearance, try the test print from DrVax.

Comment

• Sirvini
      Sirvini commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the feedback. I use an abl and the the bed visualizer plugin for octoprint. It was showing everything within 0.01mm from level. I will purchase some feeler gauges to make sure the nozzle height is better.

I almost always use MagiGoo. I did just purchase a tube of dimaFix which on paper looks even better than MagiGoo. In either case, always let the print surface cool down before you try and remove the print. Then I use a single-blade razor blade paint scraper to get under a corner to remove the print. You have to keep the razor blade very flat to the surface but it works great for me.

Ender5r What temperature do you see the print bed to when using dimaFix?

Comment

Originally posted by irvshapiro View Post
      I almost always use MagiGoo. I did just purchase a tube of dimaFix which on paper looks even better than MagiGoo. In either case, always let the print surface cool down before you try and remove the print. Then I use a single-blade razor blade paint scraper to get under a corner to remove the print. You have to keep the razor blade very flat to the surface but it works great for me.

Ender5r What temperature do you see the print bed to when using dimaFix?
      Irv Shapiro, I'm printing PETG almost exclusively. I set the bed to 70C. The bed is a PEI coated spring steel sheet. Most times, if I let the sheet completely cool, I can simply lift the print off the sheet. If I'm impatient, I remove the sheet, flex it a bit in the X and Y directions and the print always comes loose enough to remove.

Comment

Working...
      X