Beginning a review of the Flsun Speed Racer -- live action video

This has been a busy couple of weeks here at the MakeWithTech labs. Writing code for the Thingiverse front end. Testing the Ender 7 and publishing a review and now starting to test the Flsun Speed Racer.

While I enjoyed playing with the Monoprice Delta Mini given its small size it was not much more than a toy. Maybe ok for mini sculptures but many of the things I like printing would not fit. So I always wanted to try out a bigger delta printer.

The folks at Flsun reached out to me a couple of months ago and I jumped at the chance to review the Speed Racer.

My first impression is this printer is a significant bargain. 260 mm round by 330mm print volume. Auto bed leveling, 32-bit control board, Marlin 2.0 with the source code available, filament out detector, very responsive touch screen, and speed similar to the Ender 7. They claim a default speed of 150mm/s and a top speed of 200mm/s. I will be testing these numbers and the quality obtainable for the video.

The printer also came with a bunch of spare parts, a hot end nozzle assembly, a Bowden tube, Boden coupler clips, extra bolts, standard tools, a heater element, and a thermistor.
All for $460 direct from Flsun a bit more on Amazon.

Similar to the Ender 7, this printer has a high volume extruder and hot end. The hot end has three fans and an easily removable nozzle/heater block assembly.

The only thing I do not like so far is that the removable print bed requires six bolts to remove it. Not something you will want to do for every print.

As you can see in the video, it is the tallest printer in my shop since the filament, similar to the JG Maker Artist, is mounted on top.

[video=youtube_share;YMUexkdd-gk]First Print Flsun Speed Racer Delta Printer - YouTube

Call me crazy but, for some reason, deltas just don’t appeal to me – don’t know why.

@Ender5r I feel you. However, the more I work with this machine, the more I am impressed. Much like COREXY, the CPU power needed to make these things work, and work fast, is significant. However, when watching them, my first impression is that the movements are much smoother, leading to better prints. In addition, the bed never moves at all, which should help with bed adhesion. Watch for the video at the end of the week or early next week. I have been printing almost 24x7 so far to try and get this video out as soon as practical before the holiday season continues.

I really like this printer so far. It is faster than the Ender 7. However, the quality when printing fine details has been good but not excellent and I am seeing very slight layer shifts.

Sooooo, I just learned how to use a piano tuner to adjust the belt tension which is critical for excellent quality with a large delta 3d printer. If it works, and the quality is better, I will cover this in the video.

That would be great! Some people use the Gates app to do this.

If you are seeing slight layer shifts, a belt or belts might be a bit loose. Alternatively, stepper motor current might be low or z-hop distance needs to be increased.

One nice thing about delta’s is that ringing appears as a different pattern, not vertical lines but as a “Salmon skin” pattern which is less noticeable.

Looking forward tot his review!

Cheers